Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12

Started by Andrew

SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   19 November 2008, 14:39

Hi Gavin, could you please post here your complete ruleset as a screenshot and also output of the 'ipconfig /all' command launched at a command prompt on both the server and the client PC?

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   19 November 2008, 19:52

Hi Andrew.

Quick ipconfig /all > *txt from the server and client attached along with rules xml export.

As you can see quite a simple test, just the two rules left running while trying to figure out what I'm not doing quite right, or what's not working.

All of my rules usually reside on interface 2 but I've removed them while I check this. I read the manual a short while ago on mapping about redirection or mapping being traffic direction sensitive (something like that) so I shifted the two simple test ones on to interface 3 (lan subnet) and checked again (when I exported the attached rules). Still no go.

The browser on the client still hangs once the redirect filter is used. Hopefully I'm just missing something.

The web server I run is on the BWM machine port 81. It's not bound to any specific interface and can otherwise be accessed by any subnet appart from when the redirect filter is on.

Gavin.
Attachments:
open | download – config.ZIP (2.2 KB)
KC

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   24 November 2008, 05:40

Andrew,

A few bugs to report...

I had a bit of trouble installing the 2.9.1 version on my XP SP3 machine and the client on my Vista machine.

On the XP machine, I uninstalled the 2.8 version but forgot to reboot. Then installed the 2.9.1 version and rebooted. The new installation would not let me log into the BWM. So I uninstalled 2.9.1 and rebooted and reinstalled 2.8 and rebooted and uninstalled 2.8 and rebooted and then 2.9.1 and rebooted. And it worked OK after that.

Maybe a warning at the beginning of 2.9.1 installation to be sure to reboot your PC after uninstalling 2.8 would be in order.

On the Vista machine I had a different problem. I uninstalled the 2.8 client and rebooted before attempting to install 2.9.1 but the 2.9.1 installer insisted that 2.8 was still installed and needed to be uninstalled to continue.

To resolve this I had to go into the registry and remove all entrries referring to SoftPerfect.

Finally, when I try to bring up the Bandwidth Usage Report with the 2.9.1 BWM client on the Vista machine, it gives me a "Access violation at address 0054A864 in module 'bwm.exe'. Read of address 00000018." When I close the error, I get another one immediately. I have to kill BWM with the Task Manager to get out of the loop of errors.

KC

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   24 November 2008, 19:55

I haven't noticed this before but thought but though I'd mention it incase it was related to anything.

The graph seems to be overlaying blue lines along with the green now and then. Uploading at the time was less than a few bytes, not the same as the receiving traffic.

Gavin.
Attachments:
open | download – graph.jpg (36.4 KB)

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   24 November 2008, 21:45

Ah rats. I had it set to any interface so ignore that above graphic. I was capturing the data twice in different directions smile

For some reason it won't let me edit the last post.
J

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   18 December 2008, 10:19

Hi,

I am curently using the Lite version and am very happy with it. I mainly use it to block port ranges and P2P on Windows 2003 server.

How stable is this preview? I realy need the new feature that limits number of connections..

What do you recommend i use for the Short Packet Flood Penalty threshold setting to help reduce p2p? Is there a way for me to check the size of packets going through the server?

I am waiting eagerly for the new release!

/J

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   19 December 2008, 00:56

Good morning Andrew, just about 3am here.

I'm keeping a careful eye on BWM this morning as GB's are slowly making their way through in the more sane 10's of Mbps with the release of openSUSE 11.1 today. It's that traffic hungry I'm only 3 hops from an Akamai deploy at the moment! Before I was about 15 hops from a general mirror.

I've got 2.9.1 running as it seems to have been pretty good testing it so far. It's unleased at the moment but I've done some time scheduling so all the traffic doesn't congest with usual breakfast traffic demand at the uplink I use.

I have noticed one small quirk this morning while juggling some temporary filters to cope... when a filter is assigned a time schedule, you can't manually disable the filter smile I'm guessing this is intentional?

Gavin.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   19 December 2008, 21:14

Suggestion:
How about a CIR?
As in a minimum guaranteed bandwidth as well as a maximum allowed speed

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   22 December 2008, 20:01

When you click on a rule header to sort by that column, the position column does not change with the associated rule. The rules still follow the original precedence, It would be nice to see where the rule is in position when sorting by another column.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   23 December 2008, 11:37

KC

Maybe a warning at the beginning of 2.9.1 installation to be sure to reboot your PC after uninstalling 2.8 would be in order.

Thank you, a warning has been added.

Finally, when I try to bring up the Bandwidth Usage Report with the 2.9.1 BWM client on the Vista machine, it gives me a "Access violation at address 0054A864 in module 'bwm.exe'.

Thanks again, fixed.

Gavin

when a filter is assigned a time schedule, you can't manually disable the filter I'm guessing this is intentional?

Yes, it's intentional. That is because if a filter is schedule-controlled, it gets enabled and disabled per the schedule, hence cannot be enabled/disabled manually smile

J

How stable is this preview? I really need the new feature that limits number of connections..
What do you recommend i use for the Short Packet Flood Penalty threshold setting to help reduce p2p? Is there a way for me to check the size of packets going through the server?

It seems quite stable apart from a minor problem with 'access violation' message in GUI when you attempt to access the usage report. So far no significant problems have been reported. With regards to the short packet penalty threshold, it perhaps has lesser use after the penalties for long/large transfers and a number of connections were introduced. I'd recommend to apply one or more of those penalties (available in rule's properties) to reduce P2P use.

ColderLight

How about a CIR? As in a minimum guaranteed bandwidth as well as a maximum allowed speed

This is a frequently asked feature, while it is far from being easy to implement. It's planned to be available somewhere in 3.x branch in the next year.

When you click on a rule header to sort by that column, the position column does not change with the associated rule. The rules still follow the original precedence, It would be nice to see where the rule is in position when sorting by another column.

Yes, the original precedence is kept at all times. Otherwise a click on a column's title would completely mix up the ruleset and break its normal operation. For instance, if you have setup a set of rules applying in a specific order and intentionally or accidentally sorted the ruleset, the order would be broken.

P.S. It seems this 2.9.1 does not have serious flaws so we'll soon publish 2.9.2 and then shortly after that the final 2.9 release.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   23 December 2008, 15:43

Andrew Wrote:
>
> Yes, the original precedence is kept at all times.
> Otherwise a click on a column's title would
> completely mix up the ruleset and break its normal
> operation. For instance, if you have setup a set
> of rules applying in a specific order and
> intentionally or accidentally sorted the ruleset,
> the order would be broken.

Would it be possible to have the precidence of the rules stay with the rown even when you sort by another column?
Example:
Position - Rule name - Direction - Rate Limit
1 - my comp - both - unlimited
2 - blocked - both - blocked

If i click the rule name it will show:
2 - blocked - both - blocked
1 - my comp - both - unlimited

Right now it shows:
1 - blocked - both - blocked
2 - my comp - both - unlimited

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   29 December 2008, 22:34

That makes good sense Rich. Hopefully Andrew can do that.

I have just loaded 2.9.2 here.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   13 January 2009, 08:46

I just noticed that if you set a date under advanced tab in the rule editor to enable the filter 'after' a specific date, if you later change this back to 'always' the rule requires to manually re-enable the rule. It would be one less click if when changing this to 'always' the rule re-enables its self (subject to scheduling of course).

This is a good feature though, glad someone asked for it (the whole always/before/after date thing).
Tony

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   19 January 2009, 13:30

Andrew, I see references to 2.92 and even 2.93 in another thread.

You also mentioned that 2.9 would soon be ready for release.

I like the idea of the ability to set a rule until a date but am on 2.9.1 and worry abou t upgrading based on an earlier comment of yours about the rules may have to be typed in manually.

Is there an update on the status. It is a bit confusing right now.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   19 January 2009, 18:12

kiwi_rock

I just noticed that if you set a date under advanced tab in the rule editor to enable the filter 'after' a specific date, if you later change this back to 'always' the rule requires to manually re-enable the rule. It would be one less click if when changing this to 'always' the rule re-enables its self (subject to scheduling of course).

Done.

Tony

Andrew, I see references to 2.92 and even 2.93 in another thread.
You also mentioned that 2.9 would soon be ready for release.
I like the idea of the ability to set a rule until a date but am on 2.9.1 and worry about upgrading based on an earlier comment of yours about the rules may have to be typed in manually.
Is there an update on the status. It is a bit confusing right now.

By now there should be no problem with upgrading from 2.9.1 to the current build. Just in case please e-mail me your ruleset (the file RULES.XML from the installation folder) and I will check it for you. As it's indeed becoming confusing now, here's a brief list of changes made recently:

Build 2.9.2: Added option to enable/disable rules by/after specific date.
Build 2.9.3: Added option to keep usage stats for current month only, added total bandwidth display in the live bandwidth monitor.
Build 2.9.4: Added LAN traffic filter that permits fast local communications by filtering out local data packets before they reach the BWM core (may be useful if the BWM host is also used as a file server for example). This build also includes the above kiwi_rock's suggestion wink
J

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   22 January 2009, 09:11

Hi Andrew,

Would it be posssible to add the the RRAS/VPN virtual adapter as an interface? Right now i have it set to "Any interface" and it works fine, but i believe selecting the right one would reduce cpu.

If using "Any interface" doesn't affect performance i am happy with that, but theoretically it should...

Thanks

/J

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   22 January 2009, 12:26

If you provide Internet access via a NIC to the RRAS/VPN, then double packet processing can occur if data comes in then goes back out on the same machine via different interfaces with "any interface".

Unless I you're using a more complex setup, you can just use the "WAN Network Interface (IP)" adaptor instead of "Any Interface" to control VPN sessions. This should work.

I have a filter running on the "WAN Network Interface (IP)" on my server to catch incoming VPN connections on a Win2K Pro workstation, and it works well.

Gavin.
J

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   22 January 2009, 14:06

Thanks,

I thought that might be the one but i was not sure. I will try it and see.
Martin

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   24 January 2009, 02:30

Andrew

My BWM has been working 100% for the past 2 months and now I am picking up problems. BWM live traffic is showing from time to time that there is no traffic when there is. Also it permanently stopped counting the traffic for my customers , but it is showing traffic on the specific rule statistics, you can refresh but nothing. The following error comes up regularly "Access violation at address 0054A864 in module 'bwm.exe'. Read of address 00000018." When I close the error, I get another one immediately. I have to kill BWM with the Task Manager to get out of the loop of errors.I have restarted my XP PC and closed BWM but it still is not working correctly. I have unstalled it and installed it again but the same problem occurs. Can you please help urgently to resolve this bug or fault. Much apreciated if you could reply promptly.Thank You-Martin.
Martin

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   24 January 2009, 02:34

Hi , my BWM worked fine until recently it started giving problems "Access violation at address 0054A864 in module 'bwm.exe'. Read of address 00000018." When I close the error, I get another one immediately. I have to kill BWM with the Task Manager to get out of the loop of errors. Did you get this resolved or do you have any idea how to get it resolved.Thank You-Martin.
Martin

Version 2.9.1 BUG   24 January 2009, 02:35

Andrew

My BWM has been working 100% for the past 2 months and now I am picking up problems. BWM live traffic is showing from time to time that there is no traffic when there is. Also it permanently stopped counting the traffic for my customers , but it is showing traffic on the specific rule statistics, you can refresh but nothing. The following error comes up regularly "Access violation at address 0054A864 in module 'bwm.exe'. Read of address 00000018." When I close the error, I get another one immediately. I have to kill BWM with the Task Manager to get out of the loop of errors.I have restarted my XP PC and closed BWM but it still is not working correctly. I have unstalled it and installed it again but the same problem occurs. Can you please help urgently to resolve this bug or fault. Much apreciated if you could reply promptly.Thank You-Martin.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   24 January 2009, 07:46

Hi Martin,

Which version are you running? I remember that fault but it seemed to have been resolved by the preview version 2.9.2. I haven't seen it in the last two latest previews. The current preview version is 2.9.4.

Gavin.
tony

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   31 January 2009, 16:08

Andrew, I have installed version 2.9.3 which seems to be working ok but I have another program ( PRTG packet sniffer) that sniffs the ethernet interfaces on the same PC. That has stopped working and shows zero traffic on the interfaces.

Have you changed the drivers in 2.9.3 ( verses say 2.9 or 2.8) in such a way that might cause this?

thanks

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   31 January 2009, 18:46

Yes, version 2.9.1 and following install a different set of network drivers on Windows XP x86 and Windows 2003 x86, which theoretically should be more compatible, but it seems they have drawbacks too. It may be a good idea to give a choice which set to install (in the installation program).
Tony

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   01 February 2009, 16:08

Andrew

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze make that choice available.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   04 February 2009, 13:27

Bugs: 2.9.4

Toolbar--->Rules--->Reset All Rules----> "All Daily Statistics" and "All Quotas" is reversed.

Rule Statistics--->Quotas--->"Reset" not working.

As soon as that's tidy I'm considering using it full time as I'm relying on quotas more with dual rates.

Kind Regards,
Gavin.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   04 February 2009, 13:44

Out of curiosity I tried to see if a 2.9.5 was available smile It appears to be in that to.

Cheers,
Gavin.

Edit: 2.9.5 is a little different. When wiping all daily stats it wipes quotas aswell. All quotas still wipe daily stats instead. The reset in individual statstics under quota still broken.
marcos

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   06 February 2009, 09:32

In new version, do you heave QoS by priority (http, VoIP, Mail, Video, P2P, Etc..) ?
Tks

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   07 February 2009, 20:18

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze make that choice available.

Will make it.

Bugs: 2.9.4
Toolbar--->Rules--->Reset All Rules----> "All Daily Statistics" and "All Quotas" is reversed.

Yes, I have just fixed that. Will be available in a next build.

Edit: 2.9.5 is a little different. When wiping all daily stats it wipes quotas aswell. All quotas still wipe daily stats instead. The reset in individual statistics under quota still broken.

This is quite strange as this part of the software hasn't changed between these builds. I would like to ask for details about resetting individual stats which appears to be broken but I cannot reproduce it. Gavin, could you please post the exact steps to see this bug occurring?

In new version, do you heave QoS by priority (http, VoIP, Mail, Video, P2P, Etc..) ?

No, not yet.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   08 February 2009, 10:35

Hi Andrew.

It's the reset button is working for me now. I re-did the filters and quota setup and flushed all stats yesterday following its own quota reset on the 5th day of the month. The problem is now the reset button is working fine.

I've just tried reinstalling 2.9.4 again and setting it up as identical to what I was using it before, however the reset button is still working.

I'll keep an eye on it and try and figure out I went wrong. I must have clicked on reset a few dozens times in 2.9.4 before I made that post so I'll go over everything again.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.