Configuring my Home Network to work with Bandwidth controller

Started by Zubair

hI
I have Windows XP professional with Bandwidth controller installed... and the i have 1mbps connection which has Internet connection sharing with static IP address.. the net is shared among 12 computers through Switches... People download alot slowing down the net.. i want to give each computer 10 kbps.. they use softwares like bitcomet and ares to download... so i want to limit their downloads to 10kbps.. can u tell me how config. the default gateway is 192.168.0.1, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
the primary and secondary DNS is 195.229.241.222 and 213.42.20.20
how do i make the rule for each computer.. reply
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Configuring my Home Network to work with Bandwidth controller..   24 February 2006, 08:41

In this case the SoftPerfect Bandwidth Manager should be installed on the server your rules might be something like this:

Rule #0: Unlimited local communications
Protocol: TCP/UDP
Direction: Both
Rate: Unlimited
Source: Range: 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255
Destination: Range: 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255
Interface: LAN (one, which points to the local network)

Rule #1: Client N1
Rate: set as needed
Source: 192.168.0.2 (a client)
Destination: Any IP address

Rule #2: Client N2
Rate: set as needed
Source: 192.168.0.3 (a client)

The first rule permits unthrottled local communications, the rules two and three allows internet access for two specific addresses. Alternatively, you can use MAC addresses instead of IP to prevent the users from changing their address and bypassing the bandwidth limit.
how can i use MAC addresses.. and why do i need the first rule ... wat do u mean by a unthrottled local communications ...
thank you

Re: Configuring my Home Network to work with Bandwidth controller..   24 February 2006, 18:49

To use MAC addresses choose the MAC address option when create the rules. You need the first rule only if your gateway is also a file server or something like that to allow the users to receive files from/to the server at a full speed.
I also wanna know ... if it also limits the speed of bitcomet and ares and other P2P to the rate given in the rule. How do i test whether my rules are really working...
after applying or editing the rules is it necessary to disconnect the server frm the net and reconnect or should i need to restart the server.
thanx

Re: Configuring my Home Network to work with Bandwidth controller..   24 February 2006, 19:16

Yes, it does limit P2P as well as any other applications. To test, download a file from a web-site on a client PC. There is no need to reconnect or restart anything after adding/editing a rule.
thanx alot ...
i will try doin that ... but theres a problemm... in one of the computers which i put the rule havin 10 kbs limitation gets a speed above the rated speed ... how do i solve that problem
tahnx

Re: Configuring my Home Network to work with Bandwidth controller..   24 February 2006, 21:18

I am not a wizard to guess. Describe the rule you have configured. Tell where the bandwidth manager is installed (on the client PC or on the gateway server)?
I have installed bandwidth controller on the main gateway server pc and also bandwidth controller on my pc... so that i can access it frm here... my pc is a client pc..
it was working for sometime and then it stopped working in the night... i made the rules as u said
what do u think is the problem ??
these are my rulz
Rule #0: Unlimited local communications
Rate: Unlimited
Source: Range: 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255
Destination: Range: 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255
Interface: LAN

Rule #1: Client N1
Rate: 10.5 kbps
Source: 192.168.0.2 (a client)
Interface: LAN

Re: Configuring my Home Network to work with Bandwidth controller..   25 February 2006, 19:11

Is the bandwudth manager service running on the gateway? Are you able to connect it? Also check the client's IP address. If IP addresses are given with DHCP the client may now have another IP address.
thanx.. its workin now.. the first rule was a problem.. i removed it and voila! its workin ... one more thing ... can u tell me abt queueing in the settings menu... wat is the best value to set for maximum queue size.. and wat does it do...
thanx

Re: Configuring my Home Network to work with Bandwidth controller..   25 February 2006, 20:18

Leave the default value. It is the maximum number of packets in the rule's queue before it starts dropping packets on overflow. Don't worry about if everything works normally.
I am basically using this bandwidth controller .. to play world of warcraft ... but it works fine for sometime but in the nights it my game starts laggin ... and it work fine... wat might be the problem ...
thanx

Re: Configuring my Home Network to work with Bandwidth controller..   27 February 2006, 04:35

Anything. Really. From increased ISP's links and servers load to software running on your PC nightly (like an antivirus update). It requires many test by a professional administrator to determine why it happens.
Do i need to put a rule for the server it self .. coz its a computer used by public...
because i just did that ... and its givin me a better ping
thanx anyways

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.