Can't access BM remotely from PCs on client side, only on router side

Started by KC

I have Bandwidth Manager installed on a PC with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 that's tucked away in a closet with my network hardware. So I want to use the Bandwidth Manager to access it remotely. I seem to be only able to do this from a computer that is on router side of the network (thus not being managed by BM) and not the client side. I'm using BM version 2.8 and am using its built-in bridge.

Any suggestions?
KC

Can't access BM remotely from PCs on client side, only on router side.   22 November 2008, 20:26

I'm assuming the client side adaptor of the bridge has an IP address that others on the LAN can ping?

Is Windows XP firewall trying to run on that adaptor, possibly blocking port access to the BWM service?

Do you have any "blocked" rules assigned to the client/LAN side adaptor?

You've probably covered those but it's worth mentioning just in case.

Cheers,
Gavin.

I'm assuming the client side adaptor of the bridge has an IP address that others on the LAN can ping?

-- Actually, I think that is the crux of my problem. I can't ping either adapter at all from the client side. I've even tried swapping the adapter connections. DHCP doesn't work on that adapter either. Had to manually assign an IP address to it. It makes sense since the router is on the other side.

Is Windows XP firewall trying to run on that adaptor, possibly blocking port access to the BWM service?

-- It was, so I turned it off. Made no difference.

Do you have any "blocked" rules assigned to the client/LAN side adaptor?

-- I disabled all rules and still makes no difference.

Thanks for your suggestions,
KC
OK, I've worked around my problem my by turning off the internal bridge and turning on Microsoft ICS.
Now I can access BWM remotely from a PC on the LAN/client side using either adapter address.

Thanks for your help Gavin.

On a different note, I did uncover a couple bugs with installation of version 2.9.1, but I'll post those under the 2.9.1 sticky

KC

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.