Clients not able to connect to internet with BM bridge

Started by lcoelho

Clients not able to connect to internet with BM bridge   02 December 2008, 21:00

Hi, before I purchase BM, I would like to test whether it works in our environment. I'm having difficulty getting Bandwidth Manger to work with the following configuration:

We have a wireless internet connection that connects to a linux computer configured as our DHCP server.

This linux computer has two network cards, one that is connected to the wireless modem from our service provider, and the other connects to our internal switch for clients to connect to the internet.

In order to limit and share equally our bandwidth, I've connected a XP computer installed with Bandwidth Manager, with two NICS and bridged them through the BM interface as per instructions (Toools > Bridging).

For testing whether it works, I have not setup any rules yet but client computers are not able to connect to the internet.

From the client computer, I can do a IPCONFIG /renew and it manages to get a new IP address from the DHCP server but there is no internet connectivity.

My NICs on the BM machine are configured as follows:

NIC1 (Connected to the Linux DHCP router)
Connection-specific DNS Suffix: floppyfwsecured.con
IP Address: 192.168.1.21
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (This is the IP Address of the Linux router)

NIC2 (Connected to internal network)
IP Address: 192.168.1.60

(If I do a hard-bridge via XP i.e. selecting the NICS, righ-clicking and selecting 'Bridge connections", I'm able to connect.)

Am I missing something in my Bandwidth Manger configuration?
Martin

Clients not able to connect to internet with BM bridge   02 December 2008, 21:38

Hi with the latest version the soft bridge option on BWM self does not work. If you select it, it will not pass internet traffic, it maight be of the LAN card drivers it installs upon setup of the new version. It works well without the soft bridge option.

Clients not able to connect to internet with BM bridge   02 December 2008, 23:06

Hi Martin, thank you so much for your help. I'm just not sure now what interface card to set the rule on.

The list of interfaces shown, now that I have created a bridge in XP are 'Any interface', 'WAN Network Interface (IP)' and 'Network Bridge (Network Bridge of the two NICS'.

Thank you for your kind assistance
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Clients not able to connect to internet with BM bridge   03 December 2008, 16:44

lcoelho, what IP setting does the client receive if you are using the bandwidth manager bridging (with the Windows built-in bridging disabled)?

Clients not able to connect to internet with BM bridge   03 December 2008, 17:42

Andrew,

The client receives a valid IP address in the range of the Linux DHCP server.

At present, after doing an IPCONFIG, the settings are:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: floppyfwsecured.con
IP Address: 192.168.1.22
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Are you saying then that the Softperfect Bandwidth Manager bridging option should work for clients to get internet access?

I am using version 2.8 of Bandwidth Monitor and Martin above mentions that there is a problem with this version and that using the XP built-in bridging works.

Thank you for your kind response and assistance.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Clients not able to connect to internet with BM bridge   04 December 2008, 17:56

It sounds rather strange to me as the setup you have made is perfectly correct and the client computer has obtain DHCP configuration through the bridge. Is there any firewall or anti-virus software installed on the bridging computer? Also please try launching tracert www.google.com on the client to see where it goes.

Clients not able to connect to internet with BM bridge   04 December 2008, 23:50

Hi Andrew, thank you so much for your help and this was also puzzling me very much. As I have been also experimenting with other bandwidth monitors, which I have installed and unistalled, to see which to eventually purchase, I decided to restore the server from scratch and guess what, it worked this time.

Sorry for the false alarms.

I will now try and experiment with this software to see how it fits our needs.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.