Connecting to web usage reports

Started by Rich2871

Connecting to web usage reports   29 December 2008, 03:15

I am unable to get a client computer to connect to the web usage report. When the program starts the login name is localhost and password is (Blank).

How can you change the login name.

When I type in the web address : "http://localhost/display" It does not connect. What am I doing wrong?
The webserver is running according to the event logs, on port 80.

I have also tried "http://(My user name on SBM Comp)/display"
And "http://(computer name running SBM)/display"

Firewalls are disabled

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 08:37

Do you not even get the window asking for username/password when typing in the above addresses?

Can you even ping the machine's IP address that the web server is on?

Try connecting to the IP address of the machine ie: "http://192.168.0.1/" or whatever the IP is in your setup. Or even try connecting on the machine its self using "http://127.0.0.1/" in case it's a name resolution problem?

The username when logging on to the web server is the name of the filter (exactly as the name of the filter appears in Bandwidth Manager including capital letters). The password is the password you set under the filters "User Information' tab, where it asks for "Web access password".

I've just enabled the web server on port 81 on my machine and it seems to be working okay.

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 08:38

Just another thought, do you have a filter that 'blocks' traffic?

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 16:56

I can not even see the login screen,

I am unable to ping the two nic's

Here is what the system looks like

Modem --> Router ---> NIC1 192.168.0.100 --> SMB ---> NIC2 192.168.0.101 ---> Client.
I am using SBM to bridge the two NIC's

Where do i select the IP in the setup?

This may also have something to do with not being able to get online using the SBM computer. which I do not know why as well.

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 18:39

It doesn't make sense why you can not ping NIC 2 from a client if they are on the same subnet?

Even if you haven't setup a gateway and DNS correctly on NIC 1, the SBM machine should still be able to ping the routers LAN IP address.

I think we'll need a lot more details of your network setup to help.

For example:

How does the modem obtain a WAN IP address... PPPoE? Or does it require your router to initiate the connection via it's LAN port? It seems like your router and modem are seperate. Some modems though are also NAT routers not just plain modems.

So LAN IP address of modem would be handy if it provides one. What port is the modem plugged in to on your router? WAN or LAN? What's the WAN/LAN IP addresses on the router?

Remember if this is a wireless router, clients connecting to the router upstream (wireless) of the SBM machine won't be bandwidth controlled to the Internet.

I'll go research your other posts to try and build a bigger picture.

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 20:36

The ISP told me to set up my computer to a static ip and subnet......

So I have the router connected to the iDirect satellite router set for a static IP and subnet.....

IP is one above the iDirect. (just an example 11.123.1.123 would be iDirect and the Router is 192.168.0.2) for the internet settings

the router ip is 192.168.0.1 to connect to it using web interface.
gateway (ip of modem iDirect)
subnet 255.255.255.240.

I have the router set for automatic dhcp addressing..
The NIC1 is set to 192.168.0.100
subnet 255.255.255.240
Default gateway 192.168.0.

The NIC2 is set to 192.168.0.101
subnet 255.255.255.240
Default gateway 192.168.0.

When i plug in my computer (client) directly to NIC2 my ip address is 192.168.0.12
and I am able to connect to the internet and SBM (w/ Bridging enabled in SBM) works to control the client.

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 21:23

First hurdle I see in that response:

The subnet mask you are using on the laptop (255.255.255.240) and router only gives you a small amount of IP's in the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.14 - if your laptop is 192.168.0.12.

If your SBM machine is 192.168.0.101 on NIC 2, then technically the laptop should not be able to successfully ping NIC 2 (I think I understand that correct from your previous post), because it's outside the network range according to the subnet mask you've just indicated.

You can still get Internet access because the router is 192.168.0.1 and SBM in bridge mode simply passes the packets on from the router to the clients. However they can't access the SBM machine by ping or web interface because the IP address of NIC 2 is out of the network range according to the subnet mask of the laptop.

Hope this helps some more.

Gavin.

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 21:33

My bad,
The subnet of the SBM NIC's are 255.255.255.0 .
The client also shows as 255.255.255.240.

Should I change the router to 255.255.255.0?

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 21:46

If the router, clients and SBM NIC's are all on the same subnet 255.255.255.0 then they will all be able to talk to each other correctly by IP address anywhere in the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254.

As long as your router between SBM and iDirect modem is doing NAT? Otherwise it may mess up any specific private IP address assignments your ISP may provide, however it sounds like they provide you with a public IP and you NAT it internally.

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 22:03

Yes, They said to set my computer up with static ip and such,

I use the router to assign ip addresses in the range of 192.168.0.10 to .254

I reset up the NIC's to auto assign ip and the incoming (NIC1) is assigned 192.168.0.13, the outgoing (NIC2) is 169.254.148.148 Subnet of 255.255.0.0

I am now able to get online using the SBM pc. but still unable to connect to the web usage.

I can connect via web to the router between the internet and SBM.

Is there somewhere I can change the login name? or is it always "localhost". What would the IP be to connect via web from a client to the webusage manager
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 22:24

I guess the issue in this case might be the routing table. Considering this:

The NIC1 is set to 192.168.0.100
subnet 255.255.255.0

The NIC2 is set to 192.168.0.101
subnet 255.255.255.0

Here from Windows' point of view these NICs are equal and the TCP/IP stack uses the routing table and metrics (priorities) to determine the correct NIC to use. As NIC1 connects to the router and the client(s) connect to NIC2, the following may happen:

1. A client computer connects to SBM's web-reports (which in fact rely on a simple built-in HTTP server)
2. Windows accepts the connection, but cannot complete the TCP handshake because it does not really know how to talk to the client and mistakenly sends a reply via NIC1 regardless of receiving the original request via NIC2.

In order to resolve this you need to adjust the NIC's metrics and give a lower metric to the NIC connected to the clients. After that, however you may not be able to connect to the server via NIC1 although clients connect via NIC2 normally. In this case, you will need to alter the routing table manually as follows:

route add 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.100

This means 'talk to 192.168.0.1 via the NIC assigned 192.168.0.100'. Eventually the server will be talking to the router (192.168.0.1) via NIC1 (192.168.0.100) whereas all other 192.168.0.x addresses will be talked to via NIC2.

If it works, make the changes permanent by adding the -p switch.

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 22:48

Well,
Here is another question, With the router I have (WRT300N) I am putting in place of the client computer so I can get multiple computers connected. I have turned off NAT and still unable to get online through the router. I set the router to automatically assign ip via dhcp for the router. Turned off NAT. turned off DHCP for clients to router. and still nothing. I tried to set it up similar to the client (as far as auto assign ip via dhcp).

Suggestions, or should I get a different router/switch. if so suggestions on what to get.

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 23:04

Rich2871 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well,
> Here is another question, With the router I have
> (WRT300N) I am putting in place of the client
> computer so I can get multiple computers
> connected. I have turned off NAT and still unable
> to get online through the router.

Have you tried connecting a LAN port of the WRT300N to the SBM NIC2? Not the WRT300N WAN port.

Wireless clients and wired clients connecting to the WRT300N should then get DHCP addresses, gateway and DNS settings from your other main Internet router. The WRT300N should then just act as a basic network switch and wireless access point with no complicated routing.

If you use the WAN port, this complicates things and you need to understand how to create different subnets (IP ranges and masks) and route entires in both routers in order to make things work.

If you connect a WRT300N LAN port to SBM then everything is on the same subnet and SBM will see each individual client connected to the WRT300N.

>I set the router
> to automatically assign ip via dhcp for the
> router. Turned off NAT. turned off DHCP for
> clients to router. and still nothing. I tried to
> set it up similar to the client (as far as auto
> assign ip via dhcp).

Yes that's correct. Try connecting a WRT300N LAN port to SBM machine, and not the WAN port.

> Suggestions, or should I get a different
> router/switch. if so suggestions on what to get.

Web usage reports   29 December 2008, 23:39

You guys have been a VERY big help. I now can control the wireless and hardline through the router.

The web usage access is not a priority right now. if we can figure it out then great otherwise no big deal.

Thanks again
John Hall

Web usage reports   10 January 2009, 05:42

how is the web usage set up for start time, midnight to midnight? for instance if my puter is connected all the time. is there an adjustable setting for this time period somewhere?

thanks in advance

john
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Web usage reports   10 January 2009, 09:54

The usage data is stored on a daily basis without any time information. For example, today's data would be calculated from 00:00 AM to 11:59 PM.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.