Bridging with wi-fi half duplex

Started by kiwi_rock

Bridging with wi-fi half duplex   10 March 2006, 08:36

Just a quick question about bridge mode, I'm waiting for some NIC's to arrive since I can't find my spare one so this is in advance and I do appreciate your tiem in replying.

Normally I would play around with BWM as a router, but for the sake of having one less hop count bridging does sound like a good idea. So the question is, does the bridge mode self-lern destination and source network layouts. Or does it broadcast the same traffic every single time on all available interfaces? If I bring wi-fi half duplex in to the mix I'm just not sure how much bidging will effect the throughput of this type of network when at full load.

Thanks Andrew for your time.

Gavin.
PS: I reformatted my machine so I can continue to use the lite version, I removed the standard version with that issue I mentioned. I'm quite happy just tinkering with this one until I have some spare dosh and until my DSL gets bumped up from 256K to 2M next month.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: bridge mode   11 March 2006, 04:10

Hi Gavin,

Unfortunately only Ethernet interfaces can be bridged. Wireless and any others cannot. Bridging works so:

1. If a received packet is a broadcast packet - it is accepted by the host running the manager and at the same time forwarded to the second card in the bridge.

2. If a received packet is a packet directed to the machine running the manager - it is accepted and is NOT forwarded to the second card in the bridge.

3. If a received packet is a packet directed to another machine - it is NOT accepted by the machine running the manager, but is forwarded to the second card in the bridge.

In other words, it works as a transparent bridge. The host with the bridge works as an ordinary host, but it forwards the traffic directed to other machines through itself.

Re: bridge mode   11 March 2006, 08:20

That's fine, I was intending adding wireless via ethernet.

So in order for it to forward that packet to the second interface, it obviousley keeps a self-learning table of what hosts are where? Or do both interfaces need to be on a different subnet?

I just need to clarify my way of thinking a little. So if a packet is received by say eth0, and it's not for the manager host, it forwards the packet to eth1, but not back to eth0 where it came from? I'm mainly worried about wireless traffic ie: coming in eth0, but when the manager host forwards its packet, it doesn't broadcast it back to eth0 along with eth1. Just in order to keep wasted bandwidth off the wireless link.

Thanks again,
Gavin.

Re: bridge mode   11 March 2006, 08:22

Actually I might go read up more on bridging. I did read somewhere that bridges do somethign abotu self-learning in this instance, I'm just not sure of BWM does aswell.

Re: bridge mode   11 March 2006, 15:08

There is no self-learning. Everything is done via MAC addresses. If the packet's destination MAC address is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF or equals to the NIC address, the bandwidth manager assumes that the packet is directed to the host running the manager (but it still forwards broadcasts). Otherwise, the packet is forwarded through the second NIC in the bridge.
Feras

Re: bridge mode   16 March 2006, 05:48

does bridging place load on the PC running the manager, and won't it be doing some of the router's job?
please let me know so i can decide whether i should use bridging or install bwm as a service on all the PCs
i want to make use of the router load balancing capabilities or otherwise why do i need a router i can just use a server and a ADSL modem

Re: bridge mode   16 March 2006, 15:25

I am unsure what you mean by the question, but can give some recommendations when to use bridging and when not:

Use bridging when uou have a DSL router and don't want to change anything and network settings. In this case you need to plug a Windows box with the SBM between the DSL router and the rest of the network and bridge the interfaces.

Don't use bridging when you have a Windows based NAT (ICS) or router (gateway), in this case it is enough to install the SBM on the server and filter the traffic directly without bridging.
gaurav garg

Re: bridge mode   17 March 2006, 16:09

Dear andrew,

I have tried bridge mode but in this mode i am not able to see the real time bandwidth uses. Is their any specific reason for this.
i use dumeter to see the BW uses.
i request u add a feature(Optional) which shows the real time BW uses graph of each user or of complete subnet.

thanks.

Re: bridge mode   18 March 2006, 04:18

Yes, we have planned a realtime time graph. I think the DuMeter software simply doesn't see the traffic in bridge mode because it is forwarded at a lower level than DuMeter is. Unfortunately, there is no solution yet.
gaurav garg

Re: bridge mode   19 March 2006, 01:33

hi andrew.

i will wait for real time bw usag graph in BWM.
but till that time can u suggest me any software which shows the bandwidth usag of each client by it's IP address when i use nat in windows 2003 server (Also BWM server).

i think u are an old person of this field so request u to help me..

Thanks a lot for your good services.

Gaurav Garg.

Re: bridge mode   21 March 2006, 18:00

but till that time can u suggest me any software which shows the bandwidth usag of each client by it's IP address when i use nat in windows 2003 server (Also BWM server).

There are several software for this but I'm not pleased with none of them:
Paessler PRTG (with packet snifing) - verry nice,verry expensive,verry high cpu load smile
[www.paessler.com]

BWMeter - the graphs aren't accesibles via Web Browser sad
[www.desksoft.com]

Bandwidth Daemon - nice, but dead project
[grofsoft.com]

If anybody knows other software please share with us smile

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.