Changing MAC address to bypass the Bandwidth controller

Started by Zubair

Hi...
I wanna know is there a way to counter and change the MAC address of the computer and bypass the Bandwidth controller. Are there software available to do this in the market. Let me know if i can full proof the bandwidth limitation.
thank you
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Changing MAC address to bypass the Bandwidth controller   16 March 2006, 15:16

Some modern ethernet cards permit the user to change MAC address (mostly based on RTL8139 chip), but anyway that's better authentication than filtering by IP address.
Simulationzeitalter

Re: MAC Address...   18 March 2006, 01:40

Greetings,

just a suggestion regarding MAC filtering:

It would be very helpful (and I think for vast majority of BWM users) to implement an option like: "Allow traffic only from the following MACs" and it should not affect the bandwidth allocation given to the specific MAC through the rules.

If you do that, along with dynamic bandwidth control, we could just call it "A complete solution" smile

Anyways, since this is my first post here.... the best bandwidth manager out there! Great job!

Re: MAC Address...   18 March 2006, 04:14

I am not quite sure what you mean by your comment. It is easy to permit access only from specific MAC addresses. Simply add a blocking rule at the end of the ruleset that blocks any traffic from any address not listed above. So only listed MACs will have access. Is this what you meant?

Right, dynanic bandwidth control with prioritization is the mostly wanted feature and of course we will do our best to implement it soon smile
Zubair

Re: MAC Address...   18 March 2006, 06:21

There is guy on my network .. who is i think using a ip hiding software. so iam not able to know his IP. Is there a way to counter this and get to know his IP..
plzz help me out .. my net is dead slow.
thank you

Re: MAC Address...   18 March 2006, 17:13

Sorry but I can advise a little without knowing your network structure. You could use any network protocol analyzer to determine what causes the network overload and to catch that guy.
Simulationzeitalter

Re: MAC Address...   21 March 2006, 06:00

Yes, that's what I mean, but how do you make such a rule?
I think that Zubair is having the problem which I tend to prevent from happening.

Let me present my net structure:
- I have less than 15 hosts which all go through my gateway for internet access (cable),
- DHCP is set up (same comp which runs gateway) and is giving addresses from a certain range.
- Network hardware consists of three wireless APs, each with ethernet ports (WDS implemented) and two switches, every piece of hardware is at different location making it hard to monitor who is pluging what into ethernet ports.

BWM rules:
- all MACs that should be active on my network have been recorded and a rule is set up for both UP and DOWNLOAD for each MAC,
- additional rule has been set up to block internet access for all IP addresses not fitting into DHCP's range (but are on the same subnet).

Potential Problems:
- user could manualy configure or spoof allowed IP address (from DHCP range) and gain internet access, therefore I want to set up a rule in question, that blocks all MACs except for those I already configured through rules.

You said: "Simply add a blocking rule at the end of the ruleset that blocks any traffic from any address not listed above. So only listed MACs will have access."

That's it! But, how do I do that?
...any address not listed above... ?

Basically, the problem is that everything that is not specifically defined through rules - could easely go past control and take all bandwidth resources. IP groups are helpfull, but MACs can provide more rigid control which is what we all want smile

Thanks in advance.

Re: MAC Address...   21 March 2006, 23:23

This is very simple. Just make your ruleset like this:

Rule #1: Client N1
Protocol: TCP/UDP
Direction: Both
Rate: set as needed
Source: AABBCCDDEEFF (a client's MAC address)
Destination: Any IP address
Interface: LAN (one, which points to the local network)

Rule #2: Client N2
Rate: set as needed
Source: BBCCDDEEFF00 (a client's MAC address)

I suppose these rules are similar to yours (at least they should be similar).

Rule #N: Block the rest
Rate: Blocked
Source: Range: 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254

This rule (which must be the last one) prohibits anything that isn't catched with the previous rules. As a result, those who listed above this rule are granted access at a limited speed. Others are catched by the last rule and get nothing smile It is similar to a firewall. The IP range covered by the rule should cover the local range (say if the gateway IP is 192.168.0.1 and the net mask is 255.255.255.0, then the range must be as in this example).

Hope I explained it clearly. Still any questions? Ask! smile
gaurav garg

Re: MAC Address...   22 March 2006, 01:13

Hi Andrew.

yes i have a question?
i read everything u had written & understood it,

suppose that a person has a extra lan card. he config his pc with with ip address (192.168.0.2-192.168.0.9). then who will stop him to use the net. any of the rule define above will not stop him from accessing internet

i have a way to stop this fault.

1. add a feature to block all mac address that are not in the rules above.

or

2. add a feature bind both (mac & ip) of source when we define a rule. this feature is available in some software.

thanks

Gaurav Garg.

Re: MAC Address...   22 March 2006, 02:20

Ah, that was my typo. Sorry for that. It should be 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254, I have just corrected it. As to the second your comment, it is possible to build a static ARP table with MAC-IP bindings. The result is no one with mismatched pair MAC-IP will be able to access the gateway. There is no software required for this, only the standard ARP command.
Simulationzeitalter

Re: MAC Address...   18 April 2006, 01:58

Sorry to waste your time Andrew, I realised my total unawareness of the rule order (it was logical, but I wasn't conserning it because I could sort them by name, by adress... but there was no option like "sort by order of appliance" smile (maybe you should add this), which lead me to misunderstanding as I was thinking that all rules are active constantly.

All is well now smile

Thanks again

Re: MAC Address...   18 April 2006, 21:32

To see the rules in their original order just click the Refresh button. This will reload the rules into the view in their original order even if you sorted it before. I agree, it is not obvious though...

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.