Controlling bandwidth based on user account

Started by Jim

Jim

Controlling bandwidth based on user account   06 April 2006, 07:54

Hello.

I am currently evaluating your Bandwidth Manager product and find it a very powerful and easy to use tool.
I have a server with various users and multiple allocated IPs and would like to be able to use Bandwidth Manager to
manage each user's bandwidth and quota. Does the tool offer such features?

Thanks,
Jim
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Controlling bandwidth based on user account   06 April 2006, 15:35

No, unfortunately this is not possible. The banwidth manager runs in the system kernel apart from interactive users. However, if each user has assigned a separate IP address, you can create a number of rules for each user so when he logs on he will use the separate address and will be captured by the corresponding bandwidth manager rule.
Jim

Re: Controlling bandwidth based on user account   07 April 2006, 05:50

Thanks for replying to my post Andrew.
Do you know of a way to force a user's processes bind to a specific IP on Windows 2003 server?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Controlling bandwidth based on user account   07 April 2006, 16:34

No, I don't. As I know application are able to bind to any (or all available) addresses. However, you can try to put the netsh interface ip set address command into startup scripts for each user to set his/her personal IP address. Open a command prompt and type 'netsh interface ip set address' for more information.
Jim

Re: Controlling bandwidth based on user account   08 April 2006, 06:51

Thanks Andrew, I'll try that.

Jim
Greetings,
i would like to ask if possible to have a 2 gateway in one network, im LAN ip is 192.168.0.X and subnet of 255.255.225.0. and my current internet gateway is 192.168.0.1. I have 2 DSL connection. It is posible for internet sharing the other dsl connection.? Please help

thanks

Re: Controlling bandwidth based on user account   13 June 2006, 02:43

Dan, one subnetwork have have just one gateway. However, the gateway may forward packets through different links (DSL connections) if routing the gateway tables are properly set.

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.