Can NetWorx monitor outgoing traffic from an IP-camera?

Started by Lars H.

I have some problems with the settings to monitor my router traffic. I hope to solve this problem, but my real question is: Is it only the traffic from the Internet to the router that will be monitored, or will the traffic out be monitored like an IP-camera connected wireless to the router?

Re: Can NetWorx monitor outgoing traffic from an IP-camera?   09 April 2014, 06:34

If you can monitor the router then the total in/out (up/down) traffic will be reported to Networx regardless of whether the traffic is for/from the PC or the camera.
Networx simply queries the router asking it to report traffic which means all traffic unless your router can differentiate and report traffic by local NAT address, i.e. by PC or camera but I'm not aware of any routers that can do that.

If you can't monitor your router via SNMP then you'll have to have the camera route it's traffic through the PC (that runs Networx) to the router because Networx can't monitor the camera itself, it can only monitor the LAN/WAN connections inside the PC (or the router).

So do you want to check the total traffic being charged by your ISP or just want to check the traffic to/from the PC?

J
I want to know the traffic the camera generates to my ISP. There is no traffic between the camera and the PC. The camera run on its own once started.

Re: Can NetWorx monitor outgoing traffic from an IP-camera?   09 April 2014, 08:39

Networx runs on the PC, not on the camera.

Networx can monitor an interface installed in the PC which connects to the router (and that would include the PC traffic and exclude the camera traffic since the camera connects directly to the router) so you don't want this option

or

Networx can monitor the router itself if the router supports SNMP (and that would include both PC and camera traffic) so you don't want this option.

or

You use internet connection sharing where the camera uses the PC as it's gateway rather than using the router as it's gateway.
Networx would have to monitor the wireless interface in the PC which connects to the camera using the Ignore local traffic and, in Setup, exclude all addresses except the address for the camera = camera traffic.
If the PC doesn't have a wireless adapter, you'll have to buy one since the camera is wireless.

J

Praxis

Networx can monitor the router itself if the router supports SNMP (and that would include both PC and camera traffic) so you don't want this option.

OK, I'll check up with my ISP if my router supports SNMP and then test it when I'm back in my leisure boat where the router and camera are located. Thanks a lot.

Re: Can NetWorx monitor outgoing traffic from an IP-camera?   09 April 2014, 22:40

Your initial post wasn't clear enough but I now see that the only device using the router is the camera so yes, if your router supports SNMP or UPnP, you may be able to do the following, but the router and camera are a totally different local network than your PC's local network, so that may be a big problem.

Right now do you log into the camera to view a 'live feed' or just have the camera upload to a server and you check the video on the server?
I ask because to use Networx to monitor the router you'll need to know the IP address of the router in order to have Networx query it for traffic. Normally the router would be given a Dynamic IP address by your ISP, changing it every few days.
If the camera has a built-in program to record it's current Dynamic IP address with a DNS host then you can log in to both the camera and router using the Domain Name for the camera network and then specifying the ports which the camera and router will use (The router always uses port 161). You can also find the IP address for that Domain name.

I don't know if the following is possible, perhaps Andrew will help here:

@ Andrew:
Because the router is remote rather than local I think that Lars will have to use UPnP rather than SNMP and specify the Gateway = Domain name but when I tried setting up a Domain name in my system it was greyed out and I couldn't, which may be because I have UPnP turned OFF and my firewall blocks UPnP traffic. But, I could be wrong...

UPnP is a network protocol typically found in SOHO devices, and it provides a way for network devices to discover each other and access their services. One of the services is called WANCommonInterfaceConfig. If it is implemented in your router, you will be able to monitor downloads going through it.

If he has to use SNMP then could he:
1) get the current router external IP address by pinging the Domain name (e.g. 216.152.013.075 not 198.168.0.1)
2) enter the address in Networx and then the router should 'expose' it's WAN interface name
3) save the settings
4) manually log into the router to establish a connection (Networx can't do this itself)
5) networx will begin polling the router (this may be a problem if the router doesn't respond within 1 second, if everything else is OK this may lead to a request to add an option to the Hidden settings to specify the polling wait time and be able to increase it from 1 to several seconds....thinking
question

Thanks,

J

Actually if 'we' can get this to work I might like to do the same thing...smile
Thanks a lot, I'll print all your suggestions and read i several times. Unfortunately both the router and camera are at my boat, but I'll be in the boat this easter and then I'll do some testing. My camera is a D-Link DCS-933L and I have given it a static local IP address. The router a R90. As far as I remember the router support UPnP. I asked my ISP about SNMP, but they were note sure(!!) and told me to test for it. The manual for the router is
trudelutt.com/manuals/User_Manual_R90.pdf

Re: Can NetWorx monitor outgoing traffic from an IP-camera?   10 April 2014, 22:22

Hi Lars,

I read through the manual and there's nothing there about displaying or querying statistics (upload/download).

Can you log into the router from home and check to see if it provides the Statistics that you'll need?

My router provides a Statistics page which reports traffic through it's (current) 3 interfaces:
1) LAN - which I don't use so there's only Sent because it's trying to find another device on the LAN and can't
2) WAN - which I use (CDMA USB stick) showing traffic sent and received to/from my ISP
3) Wi-Fi - the traffic between my router and PC on the local network which includes much more than Internet traffic and would be useless for our purposes.

Networx queries the router and it responds with the WAN traffic which includes not only the traffic from the PC but also from the router when it's checking for the current time, firmware updates and incoming but ignored invalid attempts to reach my PC, so this will always be higher than the traffic going through the wireless adapter in my PC (not by much though).

If your router was provided by your ISP then I suspect that it won't because your ISP provides the information from it's support site or perhaps through a program running on a PC that's on the same LOCAL network.

That's why I use a 'retail' router which does provide so much more, including the stats.
This may seem a bit crazy but you could buy a router that provides the statistics and 'insert' it between the camera and your current router. Camera to new router would still be wireless (WAN) but the two routers would be connected through Ethernet (LAN). Then, if it's possible, have Networx query the new router. But that's where Andrew is needed, to say if it's possible or not before you buy another router.

(I assume cost is not a problem if you have a boat which is valuable enough to have the security camera wink )

J
Attachments:
open | download – Router statistics.png (66.5 KB)
I read through the manual and there's nothing there about displaying or querying statistics (upload/download).
That's correct, I have that option at my router at home, a NetGear Genie WNDR3700v3

Can you log into the router from home and check to see if it provides the Statistics that you'll need?
Nope, I have disabled that option, and the router and camera are switched off when I'm at home. I don't use the camera as a security-camera, rather as a web camera.

My router provides a Statistics page which reports traffic through it's (current) 3 interfaces:
1) LAN - which I don't use so there's only Sent because it's trying to find another device on the LAN and can't
2) WAN - which I use (CDMA USB stick) showing traffic sent and received to/from my ISP
3) Wi-Fi - the traffic between my router and PC on the local network which includes much more than Internet traffic and would be useless for our purposes.

Networx queries the router and it responds with the WAN traffic which includes not only the traffic from the PC but also from the router when it's checking for the current time, firmware updates and incoming but ignored invalid attempts to reach my PC, so this will always be higher than the traffic going through the wireless adapter in my PC (not by much though).

If your router was provided by your ISP then I suspect that it won't because your ISP provides the information from it's support site or perhaps through a program running on a PC that's on the same LOCAL network.
The mobile 450MHz router was provided by my ISP, and I may log into their support site to check how much I have used from my 8GB monthly data amount. But that's only the sum of up and down traffic.

That's why I use a 'retail' router which does provide so much more, including the stats.
This may seem a bit crazy but you could buy a router that provides the statistics and 'insert' it between the camera and your current router. Camera to new router would still be wireless (WAN) but the two routers would be connected through Ethernet (LAN). Then, if it's possible, have Networx query the new router. But that's where Andrew is needed, to say if it's possible or not before you buy another router.

(I assume cost is not a problem if you have a boat which is valuable enough to have the security camera wink )

I don't bother buying a second router even if I can afford it. This "problem" is not that important. I'm not a "rich person", but manage my economy. I'm a retired engineer of electronics and my boat is a slow going 27' powerboat from 1986!

But now a new problem turned-up here at home. I'm running NetWorx on two PC's. On the Dell laptop running Win 7 64bit I have no problems, but when I run speedtest.net on the Dell desktop running Win XP pro 32bit, I don't ret the max download speed. The speed without NetWorx is 98Mbps, but with NetWorx only 8Mbps!

Re: Can NetWorx monitor outgoing traffic from an IP-camera?   11 April 2014, 09:58

OK, I see what you're doing. If you take your laptop with you to the boat then you could route the camera traffic through the laptop which would be connected to the router. You'd monitor the local network and exclude all IP addresses except the one for the router and that would show your up & down totals. At least I think you could, but not having that equipment, I can't say for sure.

As for the speed problem I have no idea. It would be best to start a new thread to get Andrew's attention for that.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.