How to get aggregated usage data for all devices through Router Monitor

Started by New User

Hello

I really like NetWorx. I'm using it to see my bandwidth usage in my home. I got 2 pcs (synced), and few wifi devices. I'd like to see My Main Pc and Second Pc usage details (already seeing), plus all of wifi devices in house TOGETHER through Router Monitor. Is it possible to follow them all from one pc?

Also wondering: is it possible to see Data Usage through Router Monitor while PC off ? Does it sync after PC turned on?

Thx for answers...
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to get aggregated usage data for all devices through Router Monitor   02 August 2014, 18:53

It is possible, however you will need a separate instance of NetWorx (portable version) to monitor the router. Any usage metered through the router will also include the usage of 2 PCs, so you may have to do the math deducting their usage from the totals.

NetWorx doesn't sync with the router's readings, which means the monitoring computer must be on at all times to poll the router. This is because router's counters roll over every 4 GB making it impossible to re-sync as it is impossible to know how many times it happened while the computer was off.
New User

Re: Router Monitor   04 August 2014, 05:53

Thanks for detailed answer.

If it doesn't sync with router, I probably should stick with normal options without wi-fi usage, till you release Mobile version of this great program. Any plan for it ?

Keep up good work.
I've got UPnP configured to monitor router traffic using networx
My home network: 2 laptops both running Windows with wireless connection to ISP modem. We also have a couple of tablets.
Issues:
1. I just downloaded a file from the internet (your portable .zip file for networx in fact). But while using your non portable networx app to monitor router, the DL number did not increase ... meaning it did not register that traffic at all.
2. Further my ISP yesterday reported I used half a Gig of usage whereas your networx app clocked me in at well under 100mb.

Any ideas on the 2 issues?

Re: How to get aggregated usage data for all devices through Router Monitor   08 February 2015, 10:23

Have you configured NetWorx specifically to monitor your router via UPnP? This is done in the router dialog

SoftPerfect support forum
Yes, I have specifically configured networx to monitor my ISP's router via UPnP exactly as per the instructions - as per your screenshot ... To test further, I just streamed a 2 hour movie and networx only registgered 3mb of usage through my internet gateway device (monitored via UPnP). Very strange.

Re: How to get aggregated usage data for all devices through Router Monitor   09 February 2015, 10:07

It's strange indeed, but I am afraid there's nothing we can do.

In practice I found many routers do not correctly maintain the DL/UL counters which makes NetWorx unable to monitor them. Sometimes updating the router's firmware helps though.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.