Detecting which IP is downloading/uploading Internet data

Started by Jan Scheeren

Jan Scheeren

Detecting which IP is downloading/uploading Internet data   08 July 2016, 09:25

Does NetWorx or any other SoftPerfect product enable me to figure out which IP address is consuming my Internet bandwidth?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Detecting which IP is downloading/uploading Internet data   08 July 2016, 16:00

There is no long term report about it, but you can see in real-time IP address activity in the Netstat tool:

SoftPerfect support forum

It's available through Tools - Netstat.
Thanks for response. I have now tried Netstat, but it appears to me (because one must turn on "Ignore Local Traffic" that NetStat monitors my local computer only?) I am trying to find a tool, that will allow me to figure out which IP address on my LAN is consuming big chunks of internet bandwidth. There are windows 10 PCs, android smartphones and tablets, and apple smartphones and tablets, on my home LAN. My ASUS router has SMTP loaded and I have two wireless ASUS access points. Does Soft Perfect have any product or tool that can do this?
Thanks again,
Jan

Re: Detecting which IP is downloading/uploading Internet data   09 July 2016, 02:11

That's correct, the above-mentioned setting monitors the local computer only.

I am afraid there is no way and no app in existence to monitor per device usage in a LAN from a standalone PC.

Normally in a corporate network, there would be a server between the router and network clients that tracks who downloads what. You can see an example setup described here. For a home network, implementing a server like that is probably not cost-effective.
Thanks again Andrew for your response.
I have purchased a Netgear smart Switch model GS108Tv2. It has port mirroring so that a packet sniffer could work. I have connected it to the router and then plugged my Access Ports into that and have implemented port mirroring of those ports to one port and then hooked up a PC to that mirrored port via an Ethernet cable.
Can Networx monitor that device and report on internet usage either by port, or by IP address?
If so, is there a document I could look at to figure out how to configure it?

Re: Detecting which IP is downloading/uploading Internet data   12 August 2016, 10:17

No, I am afraid NetWorx can't do that because it does not use promiscuous mode, required to receive traffic from a mirrored port.

This tool however seems suitable and it's free for up to 100 sensors.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.