Improvement suggestion: Make "Reset Graph" reset totals

Started by radish

Improvement suggestion: Make "Reset Graph" reset totals   06 September 2016, 22:48

Networx 5.5.4 64-bit Portable.

Hi,

I am referring to the NetWorx graph that is displayed like this:

SoftPerfect support forum

It is split into two halves. A right-side pane that shows "All Connections" information and a left-side pane that shows the current upload and download rate.

If I right click on the graph and select the "Reset Graph" option then what happens is that the current upload and download rates get zeroed (then immediately jump back to the actual current upload and download rate). This seems to me to be a pretty pointless function.

I would suggest that this could be improved quite a bit in a way that would actually be useful to the user. When the "Reset Graph" option is selected would it not be possible have NetWorx zero all the data in the left-side pane? So the amount of time the connection has being running; the total download; the total upload; and the SUM value all get zeroed. I would have uses for that and I suspect other users would too.

If you were wanting to extend that idea a bit then it would be useful to allow in the program "Settings" options that allow the user to select what data gets zeroed and what data doesn't get zeroed when using the "Reset Graph" option. For example, some users might prefer that the total uptime for the connection doesn't get zeroed. Some might prefer that the SUM data doesn't get zeroed, but do want the DL and UL data to be zeroed - and so on. Make it all selectable in "Settings".

Hope this is thought to be an okay idea for improvement.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Improvement suggestion: Make "Reset Graph" reset totals   07 September 2016, 01:14

This makes sense, though I reckon most users don't have the current session displayed on the graph.

The current session's usage can be reset under the Usage Reports, provided the General tab was configured to display it. Resetting the current session will be also reflected on your graph.

Re: Improvement suggestion: Make "Reset Graph" reset totals   07 September 2016, 01:47

Okay, Andrew, thanks for the response.

For some reason, following your image above, my "Current session" option was greyed-out. In any case I just clicked the main "Reset" button only to find that all my data vanished. Ah, well . . .

Now that I've discovered how it hangs together a bit more I would suppose that I would add to my request that the session data, as displayed in the graph, should be made independent of the main data being stored elsewhere - so that resetting the graph doesn't impinge on anything else NetWorx is doing with what I would call the 'main data'. (I hope I've explained that in a comprehensible way.) But, I would suspect that would require a deeper level of coding than my original suggestion so might be out of the ballpark for a freebie program.

Thanks again.

Edit: After reading your post a bit more carefully and then consulting the online manual I did find out how to get the "Usage Report" "General (tab) to display the "Current session" info and hence I got the "Reset > Current session" option to display without being greyed-out. Thanks again.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Improvement suggestion: Make "Reset Graph" reset totals   08 September 2016, 07:23

You've raised a good point here, that is when the Reset - Current Session command was disabled unless session usage was displayed at the General tab.

I have slightly modified it so now it's also available if you have session data usage displayed on the graph, regardless whether it's displayed at the General tab or not. This will be included in the next release.

Re: Improvement suggestion: Make "Reset Graph" reset totals   08 September 2016, 21:26

Okay, Andrew. Thanks for listening and taking on board some of what I was saying. Will look forward to the new release. smile

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.