Issue with Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Started by Paul B

Paul B

Issue with Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite   01 May 2018, 14:36

I've been using Networx for about a year, licensed for 5 computers to me.
I love the product, but have an issue with UPNP2 support. In my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, I have UPNP2 in use, as I explain here and I have my Monitored interfaces set to my "Router ERLite-3" and it works great, for a while.

After a few hours since the last time my router was rebooted, I find that Networx stops showing any download activity in my Windows Taskbar, with upload showing just fine. I schedule a chron job to reboot my router at 4am every day, but that's not an ideal workaround.

I realize this is more of a ubnt/Ubiquiti Vyatta question, but I haven't gotten any answers there, but I'm just curious if you ran into any users who have reported a fix for this. I'll be asking this on the Ubiquiti forums too, not a lot about Networx there currently, just 3 hits.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Issue with Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite   01 May 2018, 14:40

Most likely it's a bug in the router's UPnP implementation. The monitoring is implemented by polling GetTotalBytesReceived and GetTotalBytesSent available in WANCommonInterfaceConfig.

We are aware of two common bugs in routers:
  1. Some routers use signed 32-bit integers rather than 32-bit unsigned integers that the standard prescribes. This results in negative numbers being reported after first 2 GB. This is a bug NetWorx is aware of and deals with: if it happens, NetWorx converts negative numbers to correct values.
  2. Some routers use the correct data type, i.e. 32-bit unsigned integer, but somehow their counters don't roll over after reaching 4 GB (2^32). In other words, the reported values stop changing after 4 GB has been downloaded.

From your description it sounds like the second bug where the download counters simply stop going up. You can use a tool like SmartSniff to see what values come from the router. The responses are XML and human-readable:

SoftPerfect support forum

Alternatively, if the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter supports SNMP, I would recommend to try SNMP monitoring instead. It tends to have fewer bugs than UPnP implementations.
Paul B

Re: Issue with Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite   01 May 2018, 15:45

Thank you for your rapid reply. Well, that was easy to turn on: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205223500-EdgeRouter-SNMP
Just issued this command:
set service snmp community public authorization ro
then I changed over to SNMP in the Networx Settings.

Thank you! Now I'll see if it stays up...

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.