NetWorx blue screen

Started by Stuart

Stuart

NetWorx blue screen   26 July 2013, 17:27

I installed NetWorx 5.2.9 two days ago (on Win 7 pro). Since then I have had two "blue screen" crashes (as reported by Windows). That's never happened before - so clearly not a coincidence.
Is this a known issue with a simple fix? If not I'll have to remove NetWorx.
Daniel M.

NetWorx blue screen   26 July 2013, 21:25

Same here on Win7 Starter. I guess the blue screen is a result of NetWorx 5.2.9. Never happened before too... I'll try to downgrade to 5.2.8
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

NetWorx blue screen   26 July 2013, 21:35

I am sorry to hear that the new driver caused this problem. It's relatively new and may not be perfect yet.
As a workaround, I recommend to install NetWorx in MS Vista compatibility mode. Just open the installation package's properties and set it as shown below. This will make the installation use the standard TDI driver rather than WPF, which should work fine.

SoftPerfect support forum
Dude

NetWorx blue screen   26 July 2013, 23:30

Same here on Win7 Professional 32-Bit. I guess the blue screen is a result of NetWorx 5.2.9. Never happened before. It happened three times after waking up from standby. I'll try Vista-Mode.
Otherwise nice program, thanks for distributing as freeware.
Daniel M.

NetWorx blue screen   27 July 2013, 03:12

I installed 5.2.9 with Vista compatibility mode. Now the "ignore local traffic within the LAN" doesn't work properly. It does ignore ALL the traffic when it is turned on. Please, could you re-upload 5.2.8 and post the link here until these problems are fixed? I can't find 5.2.8 on the web...
Daniel M.

NetWorx blue screen   27 July 2013, 07:25

...After a while I found 5.2.8 and I tried 5.2.7 as well. BUT, the option "ignore local traffic within the LAN" does not work any more when it is switched on! Tried to reboot, remove and re-install... doesn't work. Probably the 5.2.9 installed a new (non-working) LAN traffic filtering driver, which is still on my system. Is that the reason?

Now I've installed WinPCap and selected the new interface from the list. This solves the problem bypassing the LAN traffic filtering driver which is coming with Networx.

NetWorx blue screen   28 July 2013, 13:09

Sorry about that. While we are investigating the issue, we published a build of the latest version with the network driver from version 5.2.8. So you can still benefit from using the new features and fixes.
Neel

NetWorx blue screen   28 July 2013, 14:12

Hi Andrew. Thanks for the 5.2.9 with the driver of 5.2.8. I have downloaded it.

1) Does that mean it does not have Windows Filtering Platform on Windows 7 and above? Please kindly confirm.
I always appreciated the 5.2.8 and 5.2.7 driver and had my doubts weather the newest driver you tried in 5.2.9 is a good idea. Maybe you'd want to continue with the old (5.2.8) one only.

2) Can you possibly also introduce/make available the portable version of the very same 5.2.9 (stable with) old 5.2.8 driver please?

Thanks

NetWorx blue screen   28 July 2013, 17:20

1. Yes, it uses the same driver as 5.2.8 without WFP on Windows 7 and above.

2. The portable version does not come with the driver, so there is no need in a separate build.
jagan

NetWorx blue screen   28 July 2013, 21:49

I had multiple BSOD problems with the new 5.2.9 on Windows 8 64bit. So much so that every file that I downloaded was corrupted in some way and would not pass checksum/CRC.
Completely unistalled it and i am now going to attempt using the newer stable one provided above by Andrew (Thanks Andrew!).

Will keep ya all updated.
jagan

NetWorx blue screen   28 July 2013, 21:53

Nope, the 5.2.9 with stable 5.2.8 driver didn't work for me.
Gave 'Operation aborted' message when i tried to set it up.
Uninstalling for now and will wait for some update!

However, this is the best bandwidth and net performance monitoring tool I have ever used.
Thanks for the freeware.
Jagan

NetWorx blue screen   28 July 2013, 21:56

SORRY, here is an update.
The 'Operation aborted' message appeared only when I attempted to check the 'ignore local LAN traffic'

Reinstalled again to check stability.

Thank you.
Neel

NetWorx blue screen   28 July 2013, 22:41

Hi Andrew, thanks for your response.

1) Reading some of the recent comments, a question arises - I hope this 5.2.9 (stable) with old 5.2.8 driver is not the driver which had a bug initially when it was released..remember? I hope it is the one with 5.2.8 driver that you had later fixed the bug.

2) The reason for asking is: I am using Networx 5.2.8 with 'Ignore LAN traffic' checked/ticked in both my PC1 (Win 7 32-bit) and PC2 (Win XP) and they are working fine.

3) However, one recent comment says that when 'Ignore LAN traffic' is checked/ticked, the operation is aborted. Seems the same old bug!?

Would look forward to your kind response please.
Thanks,
Neel
Hamish

NetWorx blue screen   31 July 2013, 04:21

Same problem here Win 7 Pro 64, 5.2.9.

BSOD DRIVER IIRQ LESS OR EQUAL tcpip.sys

I have unticked ignore local network traffic so will see what happens.
Vin

NetWorx blue screen   01 August 2013, 00:38

I get the same BSOD three times so far and had to revert to 5.2.8. I definitely look forward to the stable driver.
dweez

NetWorx blue screen   01 August 2013, 03:01

I also get the BSoD's pointing at the tcpip.sys. I disabled NetWorx and the system ran fine for the past week. This morning, I re-enabled NetWorx as a test and less than 30 minutes later, with me not even using the computer, the BSoD happened again. This confirmed for me that it was NetWorx causing the problem which led me here to find this problem.

I'll try the new 5.2.9 and post my findings back here later.
Hamish

NetWorx blue screen   01 August 2013, 16:50

No BSODs since switching off Ignore local traffic on 5.2.9.

What is the current status please:
5.2.9 official release - BSODs
Modified 5.2.9 - available if you know to come to this forum?
5.2.8 - unavailable?

Could I suggest you pull 5.2.9 completely until you've finished testing it's fix. It took me a while to deduce what was going wrong (and I'm a professional software engineer). I suspect there may be ordinary users out there, tearing there hair out wondering what is going wrong.

At the very least put out a notice or new release so they can install that.
revlisoft

NetWorx blue screen   03 August 2013, 00:25

I would agree to pull the existing release with the unstable driver.
tmanXX

NetWorx blue screen   05 August 2013, 16:18

I to am getting BSOD for the IRQ issue randomly with the latest version of 5.2.9.

Please fix! =)
Wes

NetWorx blue screen   10 August 2013, 01:37

This is a great bandwidth monitor packed with some cool tools! However, the BSOD with version 5.2.9 is a bummer. The main reason I'm using NetWorx is to keep track of my WAN usage, so ignoring LAN traffic is necessary. I spent some time yesterday troubleshooting this issue and thought I would share my results.

I have NetWorx installed on 4 machines all running Windows 7 64-Bit. 1 is hard wired while the other 3 are wireless.

The 5.2.9 driver issue seems to only affect the machines with wireless adapters. The hard wired connection has been flawless.

I installed the 5.2.9 build that Andrew provided with the network driver from version 5.2.8 on the machines with the wireless adapters. This solved the BSOD issue and my network connection was stable. Although when running Windows Update, NetWorx did not "see" the downloads. It's as if Windows Updates were recognized as local traffic and ignored.

My workaround was to Install WinPCap and select the new interface from the list. This solved the Windows Update issue and all wireless machines have been stable so far. The only disadvantage to using the WinPCap driver is that the Application Usage Tracker will not function.

Hopefully development will sort out this driver issue soon.

I would also like to suggest that there be an option to enter current data usage when setting up your Quota. This would allow your quota and usage reports to be accurate within a current billing cycle.

Thanks,
Wes
Wes

NetWorx blue screen   10 August 2013, 01:55

UPDTAE:

Immediately after posting the above message I was presented with the BSOD on the machine that's hard wired. I can confirm that the 5.2.9 driver issue is affecting both Ethernet and Wireless connections. Looks like the WinPCap driver is the best option as of now.

Wes
ed1

NetWorx blue screen   10 August 2013, 06:27

As a result of some Windows blue screens with the original 5.2.9, I have installed version 5.2.9 with the 5.2.8 driver. Since doing so, I am still getting occasional blue screens and/or the screen freezing without a blue screen (requiring a power button switch off).

When installing Networx, I checked the option to ignore traffic on the LAN. I also have WinPCap still installed.

I don't know if this is relevant, but the other computer on the LAN is still running Networx 5.2.8. Networx is set to synchronize usage on both computers.

Windows 7, 64-bit.

NetWorx blue screen   12 August 2013, 09:36

I have temporary removed the WFP driver from the installation package until these issues are resolved. In the meantime, could please anyone who is experiencing BSODs try this build and let me know if it helps?
Wes

NetWorx blue screen   13 August 2013, 08:59

Andrew, is it necessary to uninstall NetWorx prior to installing this build?

NetWorx blue screen   13 August 2013, 14:18

No, just install it over and reboot.
Dessa

NetWorx blue screen   14 August 2013, 19:52

i tried this version, and it BSOD'd just like the release.

in addition to the BSOD, what i'm getting as well is a massive system slowdown, followed by a lockup of the system; not something i can easily reproduce, it just happens.
StickyLlama

NetWorx blue screen   15 August 2013, 01:08

I am also experiencing the BSOD with 5.2.9 (Vanilla upgrade version of whatever was around on 08/08)
Windows 7 64-Bit
Took me some time to track it down to this forum post.
Anyway - will keep an eye here and happy to help with any new version fixes ( great app)
Wes

NetWorx blue screen   15 August 2013, 14:10

The WFP driver seems to be the culprit. The build posted by andrew on 8/11 has been solid for me so far.

The only issue I can't seem to track down is why Windows Updates are ignonerd. I would like for my usuage report to be as acurate as possibe. If it's not tracking those downloads, what other data is it ignoring? Any one else having this problem?

NetWorx blue screen   19 August 2013, 09:04

To be honest, I'm not sure.

MS states that the downloads will total XXX MB, but when I track using Speedmeter, it usually reports less. But it does report most. There's no way that I know to check accurately whether MS or Networx is correct.

But if you don't see any traffic logged at all then there is something 'wrong'... but what? I know, that's your question...wink

J
Exsharaen

NetWorx blue screen   24 August 2013, 16:57

Hi, is there any new version for NetWorx that fixes this problem? I used the build Andrew provided above and the BSODs have stopped occuring.

Thank you,

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.