NetWorx blue screen

Started by Stuart

Jasper

NetWorx blue screen   27 August 2013, 09:01

I tried the August 11th version Andrew posted after having blue screens with 5.2.9 . Unfortunately, both versions had the same problem on my Windows Vista system that has multiple network addresses (don't know if that makes a difference). It wouldn't even take 15 minutes to crash with a blue screen 0x000000C5 on a system that has been stable for years. Shame, because I've used Networx before and otherwise it seems to work well.
Harry H

NetWorx blue screen   04 September 2013, 20:28

Hi. I installed version 5.2.7 onto my PC that is running W7 Home Premium and the software works extremely well apart from one small bug. If I go into the settings, and select the tick "Ignore Local Traffic Within The Lan" to identify programs causing torrential downloads, I get the occasional BSOD error. Despite this, I have managed to identify one or two 'Culprit' programmes, one of them appears to be IE8!! Without the above box being ticked, I do not get any BSODs. I hope that this little snippet goes towards narrowing down the problem in otherwise excellent software.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

NetWorx blue screen   05 September 2013, 09:43

Try the latest version 5.2.9. After I removed a problematic driver from it, it seems to work fine for everyone.
Harry H

NetWorx blue screen   06 September 2013, 01:37

Hi Andrew. Thanks for your prompt reply. I will de-install 5.2.7 and install 5.2.9. Apart from the bug, Networx is an excellent piece of software. I keep the graph on screen all the time, so I immediately know when something starts to stream data at me. I still have not figured out what it is yet but it seems to want to stream about 150Mb of data, usually in the morning. I have done a bit of cleaning out and will do an overnight scan, with Norton and a Malware detector. I will let you know how it goes with the new installation. Best Wishes
HARRY_H

NetWorx blue screen   11 September 2013, 04:19

Hi Andrew. I have now installed 5.2.9 and, for the past few days have worked with the monitor graph displayed. Today, I experienced the unsolicited data download again and tried to tick the "Ignore Local Traffic within Lan" box. I was unable to do this, as the box was greyed out! Please could you tell me what the cause of that might be. I am running W7 Home Premium on the PC.
The one, installed on my laptop, running XP, works fine, but the downloads do not occur on this system.
Best Wishes

NetWorx blue screen   11 September 2013, 10:13

Generally the Ignore LAN traffic tickbox won't be available if:
  • You are using the portable version; or
  • The network driver couldn't be initialised or loaded; or
  • It was not installed (ticked off during the installation process).
If none of the above sound sound like the case, try installing the fresh build from here and reboot. Make sure you choose to install the network driver when asked during the installation.
HARRY_H

NetWorx blue screen   12 September 2013, 03:22

A big thank you for that, Andrew! NetWorx re-installed as you suggested and working OK.
Best Wishes
nagann

NetWorx blue screen   17 September 2013, 23:03

Andrew, after the latest version, the tendency of Networx to stop recording either the downloads or uploads, randomly in hibernated resumes seems to have gone. I will get back in case of surprises. I have just posted you for the sake of benchmarking. Would it be yet still difficult to assign the transfers and fast refreshes to the actual log in like Netlimiter rather than to the first login.
Armaan

Re: NetWorx blue screen   14 October 2013, 03:14

I'm having the blue screen issue with 5.2.10... Any ideas of what to do about it?

Re: NetWorx blue screen   14 October 2013, 08:25

At different times NetWorx builds included either a TDI (Transport Driver Interface) or WFP (Windows Filtering Platform) driver for LAN traffic filtering. Unfortunately it seems the former did not work correctly for some users, while the latter did not work for others. This could be because of a combination of third party products installed on their computers. Now NetWorx gives you a choice which driver to install. If one doesn't work, you can try the other with a simple installation over the currently installed instance and a reboot:

SoftPerfect support forum

tick Grab the latest version and try either the WFP or the TDI driver to see which one works for you.
Neel

Re: NetWorx blue screen   17 October 2013, 01:15

Hi Andrew,
1) Did you mean that the latest build (the link that you provided) has the 5.2.8 driver option?
2) Is there an option to ONLY-EXCLUSIVELY choose that driver?
3) If so, that's good!

Re: NetWorx blue screen   17 October 2013, 09:55

1. Yes
2. Not sure what you mean. You can choose one or the other to install (but not both at the same time).
Wes

Re: NetWorx blue screen   23 October 2013, 21:14

Andrew,

It's been a couple of months since checking this forum. I've been running the latest build posted here in August (removal of the WFP Driver). It's been stable. Have you made improvements to the WFP driver included in the latest release? Also, for clarification, what was the difference between the August and July release posted here?

Re: NetWorx blue screen   23 October 2013, 21:38

I will soon release a new version with both TDI and WFP drivers updated, as well as a few other fixes and Windows 8.1 support. Stay tuned smile
Alex

Re: NetWorx blue screen   08 November 2013, 14:29

Hi guys,
I'm having the same issue as described above: 'Operation aborted' message after 'ignore local LAN traffic'. I've tried reinstalling and restarting with both WFP and TDI drivers - still have the same issue.
NetWorx version 5.2.11 64-bit, Windows 7 Ent SP1 x64
Is there any cure for that? Will appreciate any help.

Re: NetWorx blue screen   08 November 2013, 14:45

It means the driver could not be started for some reason. If you need to exclude local traffic, it's possible to use a third party driver:
  1. Backup your usage and uninstall NetWorx.
  2. Download and install WinPCap.
  3. Install latest NetWorx again leaving the "LAN Traffic Filtering Driver" option unticked.
  4. When NetWorx starts, you should be able to choose one of your adapters prefixed with "Ignore LAN Traffic" from the drop-down list in the NetWorx settings.

In this case NetWorx will be using the WinPCap driver, rather its own custom driver which works fine for many people.
roccobar

Re: NetWorx blue screen   09 November 2013, 01:48

hi, I have problems with the latest version of networx as it sends me into the pc crashes constantly. I tried to disable the various components and then I discovered that the problem was networx.
problems are always related to the driver NET I / O.sys:

Netio.sys Netio.sys fd +106 fffff880 `01773000 fffff880` 017d3000 0x00060000 0x5034f6a0 22/08/2012 16:11:28 Microsoft ® Windows ® Operating System Network I / O Subsystem 6.1.7601.17939 (win7sp1_gdr.120822-0331)
Alex

Re: NetWorx blue screen   11 November 2013, 15:14

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that. I did exactly how you said and now I have NetWorx working with WinPCap driver.

But my intention was to make "Applications" tab work in usage report, which require 'Ignore LAN traffic option' to be switched on, which is in turn now grayed out. So "Applications" statistics is now available to me. And btw, why is it dependent on 'Ignore LAN traffic option'?

In fact, I have this working on two other computers with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 - everything is just fine, so I'm curious what is wrong with this one..

Re: NetWorx blue screen   11 November 2013, 15:17

The applications feature depends on the Ignore LAN traffic option because it needs to use a network driver, that filters out LAN traffic.

Unfortunately WinPCap does not provide a way to capture what applications are using the network.

Re: NetWorx blue screen   23 November 2013, 00:59

roccobar

hi, I have problems with the latest version of networx as it sends me into the pc crashes constantly. I tried to disable the various components and then I discovered that the problem was networx.
problems are always related to the driver NET I / O.sys:

Netio.sys Netio.sys fd +106 fffff880 `01773000 fffff880` 017d3000 0x00060000 0x5034f6a0 22/08/2012 16:11:28 Microsoft ® Windows ® Operating System Network I / O Subsystem 6.1.7601.17939 (win7sp1_gdr.120822-0331)

Oh man I was having the exact same problem for days !!!!
http://www.softperfect.com/board/read.php?8,17953,17953

I can confirm what you are saying. I think it's an emergency so solve this problem because BSOD is what's worse can happen to a program. Most people won't even know that Networx is causing this because it's not mentionned clearly on the BSOD. I wasted days to track down the problem.
John

Re: NetWorx blue screen   03 December 2013, 05:29

Microsoft appears to have a hotfix for this problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=2664888

Haven't tried it, yet, but will give it a shot tonight.

The BSOD problem began immediately after the 5.2.10 update and persisted thru 5.2.11. The machine had been rock stable for several years prior to that. Unfortunately, it still affects my home machine after an uninstall and system restore.

Re: NetWorx blue screen   03 December 2013, 09:12

If the problem persists, reinstall NetWorx with the TDI driver rather than the WFP driver. It seems to have fixed the issue for other users.

Re: NetWorx blue screen   04 December 2013, 10:22

Andrew

If the problem persists, reinstall NetWorx with the TDI driver rather than the WFP driver. It seems to have fixed the issue for other users.

I can confirm that it worked for me.
Dessa

Re: NetWorx blue screen   15 January 2014, 05:29

while i have not experienced a bluescreen with the WFP driver for a while, it might be useful to know if KB2913431, which appeared with todays batch of windows updates fixes the issue for those people which are still crashing, as MS isn't really specific to what it fixes, but given that it is related to WFP, it might help...
nemex

Re: NetWorx blue screen   06 February 2014, 06:43

Hello. I can confirm that patch KB2913431 fixes the problem with the WFP driver. The problem is that it is in optional downloads and many people might not install it.
Awesum

Re: NetWorx blue screen   06 February 2014, 18:01

Hi. I'm also getting BSOD's with windows 8.1.
The mini dump points to networx.sys

Is there a fix for it or do I have to uninstall Networx?

Re: NetWorx blue screen   06 February 2014, 19:08

If you had chosen the WFP driver to install, try reinstalling NetWorx at which time choose the TDI driver to install and reboot. If you had chosen the TDI driver, try installing WFP instead and reboot.
Awesum

Re: NetWorx blue screen   06 February 2014, 21:42

I had the TDI driver. I've changed to WFP.
I'll monitor and provide feedback.
Awesum

Re: NetWorx blue screen   09 February 2014, 21:32

The driver change fixed the crashing.

Thank you for an awesome program.
Sathya

Re: NetWorx blue screen   25 February 2014, 03:34

I've had (in)frequent DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs, with either versions of Driver. WhoCrashed points it to networx.sys: This was the latest one:
On Thu 20-Feb-14 9:56:03 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: networx.sys (networx+0x7862) 
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\networx.sys
product: NetFilter SDK
company: NetFilterSDK.com
description: NetFilter SDK TDI Hook Driver (WPP)
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: networx.sys (NetFilter SDK TDI Hook Driver (WPP), NetFilterSDK.com). 
Google query: NetFilterSDK.com DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
I'm running the 64-bit edition of Networx, version 5.2.12 on Windows 8.1

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.