Support for Windows 8.1

Started by exsharaen

exsharaen

Support for Windows 8.1   19 October 2013, 22:01

Hi all,

Does Networx currently support Windows 8.1? I had blue screen experiences prior on using Windows 8 (it was 5.2.9) and I just recovered from a critical bug that required me to perform clean install (which might be caused by incompatible drivers). So I'm hesitating to reinstall Networx on Windows 8.1 right now.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thank you,
Dave Lorde

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   20 October 2013, 10:01

It doesn't work for me. It runs in the background, doesn't appear on the desktop or notification area, and can't be killed, even with ProcessHacker. I removed it from startup, rebooted, uninstalled it, then tried reinstalling it, but the same thing happened.

The 8.1 update has messed up a whole bunch of things on my machines.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   20 October 2013, 15:47

Try installing it with the LAN Traffic Filtering Driver option unticked.

This driver has not yet been made compatible with Windows 8.1 and may be the cause of this issue.
exsharaen

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   20 October 2013, 16:43

So basically as long as I don't install the drivers for LAN Traffic Filtering, it will run on Windows 8.1, right?

Will give it a try and see if it runs without any problems.

Thanks,

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   20 October 2013, 18:03

It should. Please let me know if there are any issues when it's installed without the driver.
Dave Lorde

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   20 October 2013, 18:59

Sadly, this doesn't work for me either. The networx.exe task shows in Task Manager, and I can see Networx in the Notification Area Customization list, but there's no icon in the Notification Area no window on the desktop, and the Networx Desk Band toolbar option displays 'Networx is not running' on the taskbar.
exsharaen

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   21 October 2013, 18:06

That's weird, I can install Networx (without LAN driver) and it works fine till today. I even managed to use my old DB from a backup and continue gathering statistics from there.

Oh by the way, I didn't install the Desk Band option either (the window alone is fine for me).

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   21 October 2013, 21:09

As we have received more reports from customers with Windows 8.1, it turns out the culprit is something else than the driver.

I'd like to ask everyone who's been affected by the issue, try the latest build here, and if still no luck try the portable version to see if it launches fine.

Please let me know if either works.

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   24 October 2013, 00:14

It seems the issue where NetWorx hangs on Windows 8.1 is caused by WinPCap.

Try uninstalling WinPCap or updating it to the latest version.

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   26 October 2013, 05:31

I guess I'll consider myself lucky then, since with the latest version of WinPCap (not released all that recently), I never did encounter a BSOD on 8.0 or 8.1 (installed about 6 weeks ago) and 5.2.9 (but mainly 5.2.10).
beringer

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   27 October 2013, 15:25

I'm not getting BSOD on win 8.1, ane app is running properly, but it affects on windows store, update some errors with not stable download, downloading any file over browser and router managment "site" on any kind of browser.
When Networx is closed everyting runs great.

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   27 October 2013, 15:59

I don't know what you mean by part of that, but are you talking about this even with 5.2.11? And which of the three possible drivers for the program are you using?
beringer

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   27 October 2013, 17:17

rseiler

And which of the three possible drivers for the program are you using?

Yeah, I'm using 5.2.11.
But sir U made me think, tried to reinstall, and it's working fine without LAN filtering driver, and on TDI.
Earlier I had WFP which was recommended in installer, but what do U mean by three drivers? There is only WFP and TDI
Both ways when NetWorx runs properly there is no way to run Application traffic controll or am I wrong?
On TDI in propertie, tick box for Ignore local traffic is inactive, when installed without driver, NetWorx stopped working when checked this one.

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   27 October 2013, 17:27

The other way: checking neither driver in Setup and instead using the 3rd-party WinPCap driver, which has the benefit of working with some other programs too, such as Wireshark.
beringer

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   27 October 2013, 17:43

Ok, I understand now.
Anyway it works fine without any driver and on TDI, never tried WinPCap, and NetWorx is probably the only app I have which will use this one.
Still, sad thing that Application traffic control won't work if I want other things to run properly. But that's just a small problem, NetWorx is great use to me wink
mia

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   31 October 2013, 04:21

for me networx runs on win8.1 in both versions, install and portable, but there's no way to make it start with windows

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   31 October 2013, 04:32

What do you mean? That the option isn't there, or that it is but doesn't work? It should work. If you use Autoruns, do you see it on the Startup tab as checked?
mia

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   31 October 2013, 05:17

I think i made it clear... all the oprions are there but no matter what you do, what you check, you add it manually to autostart it won't start and tou have to run it manually.

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   31 October 2013, 05:26

It wasn't clear but ambiguous, since you just said "no way to make it start with window." That could have meant several things.

I know I should know this already, but are you using 8.1 x86 or x64? And what version and flavor of Networx are you using? And do you see Networx in Autoruns (Startup)?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
"C:\Program Files\NetWorx\networx.exe" /auto
mia

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   31 October 2013, 07:35

because I tried lots of ways to make it autostart and none of them worked

my win is x64 and NW flavor is the newest 5.2.11 64-bit
I tried older versions and still nothing.
I also checked the registry and everything should be fine, there are more programs that do autostart except networx.
I wouldn't post here if I still had an options, but I run out of ideas how to make NW work properly with autostart.
Some worx

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   01 December 2013, 21:41

Removed Winpcap 4.1.3 and got it working.

Windows 8.1 Pro
Grey

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   24 April 2015, 11:42

In the new windows update, I am having trouble finding the option to ignore lan traffic, if there is still a way to do that I would like to know, because everywhere I look it doesn't tell me where it is

Re: Support for Windows 8.1   24 April 2015, 19:03

It's in the same place it has always been - in the main settings. Not sure how it's related to a Windows update.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.