Crashplan traffic not showing

Started by rastaub

rastaub

Crashplan traffic not showing   10 January 2014, 12:09

when I activate "ignore local traffic within .." the traffic for my crashplan backup application will not show no more in the graph, nor will it be showed/counted under applications in the usage report. all else shows up.
crashplan is Java, shows as connecting my internal IP to some 50.93.xx.xx (crashplan) according to netstat.
any idea?

win 7 ultimate (patched, without the buggy ones)
router zywall, modem tplink
netwox version 5.2.11

Re: crashplan traffic not showing   10 January 2014, 22:10

is crashplan saving to the 'cloud' or a local drive?

is crashplan a 'paid' licence application that connects to it's licence server to verify that you have a valid licence?

J
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: crashplan traffic not showing   10 January 2014, 23:29

It could show as java.exe I suppose.

Re: crashplan traffic not showing   11 January 2014, 21:09

Hi Andrew,

If he was able to check Applications just before a backup and just after, he should see a change in 'something' equivalent to the amount of data being backed up.
He could control this by creating a 5MB file that he knows will be backed up. That is, if it's backed up to the 'cloud'.

But crashplan allows both cloud and local drive backup and if he's configured it to local, he won't see anything in Applications.

Since he hasn't responded, I assume it's local, not cloud.

J
rastaub

Re: crashplan traffic not showing   12 January 2014, 20:52

Hello everybody helpful,
I didn't answer as first my internet connection failed, due to work in the street close-by, and afterwards I was off to the beach for the weekend. Sorry.

Thanks for all the input.
I use crashplan for cloud backup and sometimes for local. Local not showing, well shouldn't as being same LAN, is OK and expected.
Cloud is a different matter. It really didn't count into a crashplan line nor into a java-whatever line. It simply disappeared from the graph and the application counter.
And now, to make me look as fool, it shows and adds and behaves as expected, wanted, wished for ...................
I go crazy %&%รง*
So to me it seems, that the rest my computer took while I was away, took care of my problem. Meaning after changing the settings to "ignore local" the whole thing needed a cold restart. This is really the only possibility I see as nothing (well one never knows with MS) changed.
I will keep an eye on it.
So for now, many thanks to Andrew and Praxis and to softperfect for this great tool.

Re: crashplan traffic not showing   16 January 2014, 23:24

needed a cold restart.

If you'd installed a new version with new (modified) drivers then a reboot would be a good idea, true for most any software. Otherwise the 'old' one(s) continue to run and you can't use (see) the advantages of the 'new' one(s).

Glad you got this sorted out,

J
MrArtist

Re: Crashplan traffic not showing   25 February 2015, 09:31

Rebooting again and waiting seems to be the answer:

I had the same problem with CrashPlan activity not showing in the upload graph whenever I tried to limit NetWorx from showing LAN activity. I spent ages on the problem but whenever I turned on the "Ignore local traffic within theLAN" it had the effect of not showing anything significant for the graph and in the deskband.

I reinstalled NetWorx over itself trying the other LAN install option but that just seemed to stop FileZilla from connecting when I wanted to try a normal upload test??!
I reinstalled NetWorx again back to the recommended LAN option but still no display of CrashPlan's activity over the Internet to the cloud.

Then I read this forum question. Despite rebooting after each reinstall, it was only after rebooting again that after a few minutes did the activity of CrashPlan start showing properly.
I haven't done a reboot since to see if this delay happens at each computer restart, but at least I know now it does work eventually at least.

Win 7 x64 Ultimate
MrArtist

Re: Crashplan traffic not showing   25 February 2015, 12:22

CORRECTION:

Something odd is definitely happening between CrashPlan and NetWorx, they don't quite seem to get along.

I restarted my computer again and this time NetWorx refused to acknowledge its uploading. I could verify it was uploading via another tray program called NetSpeedMonitor but both NetWorx graph and Deskband tray program showed nothing.

After 15 minutes of waiting to see if NetWorx would respond I opened the full CrashPlan program (as opposed to watching the tray service) to see if that would make a difference. It didn't and CrashPlan was definitely processing and sending files onto the internet.

Then I decided to quit NetWorx and that's when I found that this instantly crashes the CrashPlan main program with the error "CrashPlan has been disconnected from the backup engine". The tray icon remains and eventually the process re-syncs to the cloud. I have repeated this test several times and each time quitting Networx crashes CrashPlan.

I did another reboot and this time NetWorx kicked in fairly quickly in recognising CrashPlan's activities. I started up the CrashPlan main program again and then tried quitting NetWorx again but I got the same crash of CrashPlan. Started up CrashPlan program again, let it re-sync then Networx. Networx is now refusing to show anything to do with CrashPlan.

Any suggestions for a fix?

EXTRA NOTE:
If I start the CrashPlan main program first, then NetWorx, I don't get a crash of CrashPlan when I quit Networx. But I do when I start NetWorx first.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Crashplan traffic not showing   25 February 2015, 13:58

It appears that the way CrashPlan uses the network is not fully compatible with NetWorx, though I am not sure why. NetSpeedMonitor works fine because it doesn't attempt to filter out LAN traffic. NetWorx will work fine as well when LAN traffic is not filtered.

I guess in your case, if you need to exclude local traffic, the only way to go is to use a third party driver:
  1. Backup your usage and uninstall NetWorx.
  2. Download and install WinPCap.
  3. Install latest NetWorx again leaving the "LAN Traffic Filtering Driver" option unticked.
  4. When NetWorx starts, you should be able to choose one of your adapters prefixed with "Ignore LAN Traffic" from the drop-down list in the NetWorx settings.
MrArtist

Re: Crashplan traffic not showing   25 February 2015, 21:47

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It turns out I already had WinPCap installed from ages ago (albeit one version old) and that is why I already could select the LAN adaptor without LAN traffic option from the dropdown which does make CrashPlan's upload data show. However, the only problem with that is I don't get to see what's in the Usage Report/Applications tab as NetWorx tells me to enable the "Ignore LAN traffic option" to make it work.

I've had NetWorx reliably installed for at least a couple of years and only recently added CrashPlan, so to get accurate readings of it's uploads over time I was trying to get rid of the local traffic data flows from the readings so I could more accurately see the progress. I guess I can live without the Application Usage Data, but it would be useful to see once in a while.

I just tried uninstalling WinPCap completely to see if that made any difference - unfortunately it didn't. I also just tried uninstalling/reinstalling NetWorx without the LAN Traffic Filtering Driver then installing the latest WinpCap, but that still makes it impossible to see the Applications Usage Report and now if I select the "Ignore local traffic within the LAN" option I get an exception error C06D007E (understandable I guess as it's not installed).

So it seems it made no difference (or had any bad effects) having WinPCap and NetWorx LAN driver installed at the same time. I can't recall what program or reason I once installed WinPCap, but I guess I'll leave WinPCap there and go back to the full install (with LAN driver) of NetWorx to see if the problem one day sorts itself out.

Many thanks for your excellent little program (and WiFi Guard).

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.