OpenSSL alerts and disabled Windows IPv6 tunneling services problems

Started by Frederick888

I'm running Networx 3.5.1 x64 Portable on Windows 8.1 x64.

1. OpenSSL Problem
The program calls the OpenSSL library but the library is not contained in the package. Without the library, the program will alert user on every run. However, it seems that Networx can run normally if you ignore the alert, but it is just annoying.
The previous version did not have this problem. Anyway, I just installed OpenSSL and the problem gone away.

2. LAN Traffic Filtering Driver Problem
This problem is critical!
Installing the driver provided by Networx installer will disable Windows IPv6 tunneling services such as Teredo, ISATAP and 6to4. It's a fatal error and will make those virtual interfaces unavailable forever even if you uninstall Networx.

I finally did a system restoration on my laptop to fix the problem. And then I had a try on my virtual machine, whose system was Windows 7 x64, to install the traffic filtering driver with Networx, and exactly the same problem came out. So I uninstalled Networx and tried commands like "netsh int ipv6 isatap s s e", "netsh int ip reset" and etc., but none of them worked. Then I rebooted the virtual machine into safe mode to re-install TCP/IP, but the problem remained unsolved after all my actions.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: OpenSSL alerts and disabled Windows IPv6 tunneling services problems   12 May 2014, 12:48

About the OpenSSL problem.

NetWorx does not require OpenSSL and uses it only if it's available. There are three possible scenarios here

1. There is no OpenSSL. NetWorx simply disables sending secure emails and does not display any alerts.
  2. There is a valid and suitable OpenSSL installation. NetWorx makes use of it for sending secure emails.
  3. There a broken or outdated installation. Now, that's a trouble maker. NetWorx attempts to load it, then Windows DLL loader resolves references and if it fails, it raises those exception messages. Thus, removing the broken OpenSSL installation or installing a fresh and working one fixes the problem.

LAN Traffic Filtering Driver problem

Unfortunately this change is made by the third-party network driver NetWorx uses. It's only done for the WPF driver and you should use the TDI driver instead as recommended by NetWorx's installer.
Both two drivers will cause the problem. I tried them all in my virtual machine with a clean Windows 7 x64 installation.
Frederick888

Re: Two problems with Networx 3.5.1 x64   12 May 2014, 13:52

http://youtu.be/PgCBDlr2JKY - this video shows how the default one disables the ISATAP under my virtual machine.

and btw, Networx tried to call C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\ssleay32.dll
it's an included library of another program, and the HeciServer.exe file under the same directory is registered for Intel Capability Licensing Service to use (maybe this is how Networx found it????)

i think it'll be better to look for libraries only in %windir%/system32

Re: OpenSSL alerts and disabled Windows IPv6 tunneling services problems   12 May 2014, 18:22

You are right, it was an oversight. The TDI driver shouldn't have touched Teredo.

I have fixed it and the latest build. It does not disable Teredo when installing the TDI driver.

As to loading the DLL from C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\ssleay32.dll, this has to be because it's in the system %PATH% variable. If you remove this folder from %PATH%, NetWorx won't try to use it.
Thanks a lot for fixing the problem so fast!
And the deletion of HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents also worked for those already disabled.
I have been struggeling with an MS-Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface driver issue since installing NetWorx ver.5.3.4 on a HP ProBook 4520s, x64-based Laptop, running MS Win7Prox64 (6.1.7601 SP1 Bld. 7601)

2015-05-20
Using Process Monitor as mentioned in a post submitted on 2012-07-17 to reddit>sysadmin
"Windows XP Registry Changes Reverting after Reboot" at: http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/wpdmn/windows_xp_registry_changes_reverting_after_reboot/
After enabling Boot Logging in Process Monitor>Options I have discovered that NetWorx ver.5.3.4.15085 is Changing the Registry Value:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters\DisabledComponents to 142 (0x8e)
during booting. Why it is doing this now and has not done this all the time I have been using NetWorx, since ver.5.2.9.13205 I do not know. (Backed by C:\BIN_DUNE1\Drivers\MS-Teredo Tunneling Driver\Bootlog-6.pml).
Found info on this issue in the NetWorx Forum at: https://www.softperfect.com/board/read.php?8,18955,18955#msg-18955
Removed all #x ISATAP drivers.
Created and Set Registry Key REG_QWORD = 0
Downloaded ver.5.4 of NetWorx.
Removed Process Monitor from Startup
Installed(Run as Admin AV=DisAbled) NetWorx ver.5.4 only using the TDI driver.
Reboot.
Registry is reset to DWORD=0x8e (142).
UnInstalled NetWorx ver.5.4
Removed all #x ISATAP drivers.
Created and Set Registry Key REG_QWORD = 0
(HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters\DisabledComponents)
Shutdown and Cold Boot.
Registry Key not reset!
MS Teredo Tunneling, 6to4, and ISATAP to ISATAP#4 adabters, all appear Ok will check after booting on domain tomorrow.

2015-05-21
ColdBoot at JUGANet AD-DC(Active Directory - Domain Controller)
Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6 \Parameters\DisabledComponents REG_QWORD = 0
Registry Key not reset!
MS Teredo Tunneling, 6to4, and ISATAP to ISATAP#5 adabters in DM = Ok

2015-05-22
Installed(Run as Admin AV=DisAbled) NetWorx ver.5.3.4 (17 March 2015)
Same problems as with ver.5.4
I remember that the Download of this version was carrying an Artemis(Trojan) payload and going back in my Notes=Logs in: C:\BIN_DUNE1\System_Settings_Reports_Errors_and_LOGs
I see that all problems with MS Teredo Tunneling started after that installation.
2015-04-09 17:10:00 Install NetWorx ver.5.3.4 (17 March 2015)
2015-04-11 03:49:59 CP(Control Pannel) Troubleshooting Report = Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface has a driver problem.

Obviously the resetting of the Registry key is not resolved in version 5.4. In order to verify this I will install ver. 5.3.3 and report back on this thread.

Re: Disabled Windows IPv6 tunneling services problems   25 May 2015, 12:58

Sorry, this is not reproducible. I took a snapshot of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters before installing NetWorx 5.4, after installing it and after rebooting. All the three snapshots were identical and no components were disabled.
Thank you for your reply. I did install NetWorx ver5.3.3, which was the version that I did not have the "RegSetValue" issue with before, but unfortunatly I am now faced with the same problem. Process Monitor shows me that the call to change the Registry Value is comming from NetWorx.exe. I have uploaded an image file to the "message tracking" showing same.
ed1

Re: OpenSSL alerts and disabled Windows IPv6 tunneling services problems   05 June 2015, 21:40

I recently have also experienced the ipv6-Terredo tunneling issue, probably when upgrading Networx to the latest version. A ipv6 test website now reports that I no longer can access ipv6 addresses.

I installed the recommended Networx driver.

How do I fix this?

Re: OpenSSL alerts and disabled Windows IPv6 tunneling services problems   06 June 2015, 00:34

Try deleting from the registry the following key

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents
ed1

Re: OpenSSL alerts and disabled Windows IPv6 tunneling services problems   06 June 2015, 04:32

Andrew, deleting that registry key seems to make no difference. I still have this result on test.ipv6.com:

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be xx.xx.xx.xxx [edited by me]

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be COMCAST-7015 - Comcast Cable Communications Holdings, Inc,US

No IPv6 address detected [more info]

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.
Your readiness score
0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

Should I put the deleted registry key back in?

Re: OpenSSL alerts and disabled Windows IPv6 tunneling services problems   06 June 2015, 16:41

No, a value under DisabledComponents is what actually turns it off.

It looks like the LAN traffic filtering driver causes this issue, though I am afraid we can't fix this as it's a third-party driver. I recommend to follow these steps to replace the NetWorx driver with WinPCap, then again remove the DisabledComponents value and reboot.

After that IPv6 tunneling should be working while you retain the ability to ignore LAN traffic.
ed1

Re: OpenSSL alerts and disabled Windows IPv6 tunneling services problems   07 June 2015, 06:39

Andrew, I followed those steps - removed Networx, installed WinPCap, reinstalled Networx with no driver selected.

Again, the ipv6 test site report is exactly the same - no ipv6 is detected or available. Regedit does not at any point in the process show the registry key that I deleted earlier per your post, so I was not able to delete it again as mentioned in your post.

What should I do next to restore ipv6 functionality?

By the way,

1. Do I have to do anything to restore the "Terredo tunneling" after receiving the dialog that it was no longer active?

2. When using WinPCap, can I still monitor my router rather than the ethernet connection? I was monitoring it via UnPnP.

3. When using WinPCap, can I still have Networx keep track of cumulative data by application?

Re: OpenSSL alerts and disabled Windows IPv6 tunneling services problems   07 June 2015, 14:56

Perhaps this can help?

WinPCap allows you to exclude network traffic from and to the computer where NetWorx is installed. It has no effect on router monitoring.

WinPCap will not allow you to have per application report because it works at a lower level where the application context is not available.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.