Networx is not tracking application data usage

Started by Net user

Net user

Networx is not tracking application data usage   09 August 2014, 07:49

Hi, I am running windows 8.1 and previously used networx on windows 7 ultimate. It worked fine for windows 7 and displayed which applications use the Internet.
However in windows 8.1 it doesn't display any apps. It shows I used 10gb, but in the application column it doesn't display any apps.
I would like to know to to fix this or if there are any alternate apps like networx which offer this feature?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   09 August 2014, 18:43

Have you ticked the "Ignore LAN traffic" option in the main settings?
Net user

Re: Networx is not displaying any apps   09 August 2014, 19:46

Thank you so much! laugh
It worked perfectly ok, yes, thumb up
Wow! Perfect! Thank you. I was trying to solve this same issue!
Trent

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   22 October 2014, 10:28

Hi, found this thread as I came across the same issue.
The solution seems to have worked for the most part; usage graph shows nothing while I'm not doing anything, but if I refresh a website I get a spike on the graph, so that looks about right.
I'm currently streaming Spotify though and while it is picked up in the application list, I would expect to see a constant stream of data on the graph, yet I'm not? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how Spotify works, but I don't think so...

Checking the settings;
"Ignore local traffic within the LAN" is checked.

Excluded Ranges;
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255
224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255

My IP details;
IP: 172.23.16.185
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 172.236.16.254

The connection does run through a proxy, but the proxy is on a server, not on this local machine, so I can't really see that being an issue.

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   22 October 2014, 10:55

The proxy server is in the same LAN, isn't it? That being the case, NetWorx sees any traffic between you and the proxy as local. You may want to remove these LAN ranges to take the proxy into account.
Trent

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   22 October 2014, 11:42

Of course! Thanks.
Chuchu

Networx is not tracking windows 8 app data usage   22 March 2015, 18:22

i only see desktop applications, I can't see win 8 metro apps under application tracking. How to enable?

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   22 March 2015, 19:20

Windows Metro apps monitoring isn't supported.
It used to track all my usage perfectly but now I can't get it to work. I have un-installed and re-installed about 20 times. Different directory locations. Even made a new partition with just NetworX. With "ignore local lan traffic" nothing is tracked. 0KBs/down and up. Playing youtube doesn't track. Downloading stuff doesn't track. Streaming to my phone (over 3g, not wifi) doesn't track. Nothing. Running Windows 8.1, and as mentioned, it used to work PERFECTLY for about 3 weeks. Not sure what changed in the last 2 days. I have 2 other systems separately managed and they all work fine.

Without "ignore local lan traffic" checked I obviously can't see what is using what, but it does track. However being able to see what is using what is the whole point! Any advice on what I could look at? (During install there is "Recommended" and the other option, both return the same results).

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   24 March 2015, 09:08

Well, did you change anything in the last two days? Installing additional software or a newer version of NetWorx?
Only thing I did was on a DIFFERENT computer install a beta of Windows 10. But that's not the machine that isn't working - it works fine. When I un-install 5.3.3 and install 5.3.2
1: TDI Implmentation (Recommended)
2: All connections
3: Ignore local traffic within the lan

It IS monitoring MOST received/sent:
Webpages - bandwidth monitored
Youtube - bandwidth monitored
Misc system processes - bandwidth monitored

It ISN'T monitoring SOME (the most crucial and big hitters):
1: When I stream music from my PC to myself at work via an app - it used to monitor it and I could see it. For some reason it just stopped.
2: My downloaded files from utorrent is the same as problem above - Used to, now just doesn't

I'm stumped. From none, to some working - but why could it be missing those other 2 things - and what is 95% of my traffic?

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   24 March 2015, 16:18

Sorry, I don't really know why it stopped working. It could be virtually anything, even a Windows update.

I suggest to try WinPCap as an alternative. Although it won't give you the per application report, it should be able to properly ignore your LAN traffic.
Peter Dixon

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   21 February 2016, 07:51

Hi, I have a similar problem, tracking is not working for me in Windows 10. All I get is the message TDisk DB:SQL error or missing database. no such table application. It did work when I first downloaded. It will not work with LAN Traffic on or off. We are running on Telstra Dongle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   21 February 2016, 09:39

This means the database was somehow corrupted. Simply quit NetWorx and delete its database files from %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\SoftPerfect\NetWorx.

Then start it again, it will create the necessary structures and everything should work again.
Peter Dixon

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   24 February 2016, 08:22

Thanks for that Andrew. I still couldn't make it work after following your advice so I removed the program and reinstalled it. The "TDisk DB:SQL error or missing database" no longer shows but now I am unable to check the "Ignore LAN Traffic" option which remains greyed out. I have the program loaded on another computer which work fine. I have compared the two sets of setting. They appear to my limited technical eye to be the same. The other computer is running Windows 8.1, mine is Windows 10, could Win 10 be the problem?

My apologies for taking so much of your time but as I indicated I have a fairly limited ability with computer stuff.

Cheers
Peter

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   24 February 2016, 08:33

If the Ignore LAN Traffic option is grayed out, this is usually either:
  • The LAN traffic filtering driver was not installed (or damaged by antivirus).
  • You are using the portable version, which doesn't support this feature.

I would recommend to download the latest installation package from home page and make sure the traffic filtering driver is selected for installation during setup. The download link is at the bottom of the page.
Peter Dixon

Re: Networx is not tracking application data usage   24 February 2016, 16:24

Thanks again Andrew, followed your advice and the problem is solved.smile

Cheers
Peter

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.