UPnP Router Monitoring stops after some time

Started by pauldexter

UPnP Router Monitoring stops after some time   28 October 2014, 20:17

Hello,

I am using the latest version of Networx which is currently v 5.3.3 64-bit. I am trying to use the "Monitor my router rather than this computer", but when I am using it, after sometime it stops and it can't locate my router in the Gateway name and WAN interface anymore.

It was able to monitor traffic for just a few minutes and then kaboom, it stops monitoring.

Thanks, hoping for a response here.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: UPnP Router Monitoring stops after some time   28 October 2014, 21:03

That's a common issue and here is what happens:

The router box maintains its DL/UL counters which NetWorx polls periodically. The UPnP standard prescribes the counters to be 32-bit unsigned integers. This means they continuously go up from 0 to 4 GB.

Your router however is likely to have a bug in its firmware code and it uses signed integers, which turns the counters negative as soon as they reach 2 GB. So basically NetWorx stops monitoring it once 2 GB of data have passed through the router. After the next 2 GB of data is works again. Then it stops again and so on.

In order to confirm this, try to download another 2 GB and see if the monitoring resumes. We may be able to implement a workaround here, but can't guarantee it.

Re: Router Monitoring (UPnP) stopped after sometime   28 October 2014, 21:07

No, it's not 2 GB, not even close. Only less than 100 mb and it will stop.

Re: UPnP Router Monitoring stops after some time   28 October 2014, 21:42

How about changing the hidden setting called Router poll interval?

Try setting it to 5000 or 10000 and see if that helps. The real-time graph will be disrupted, however any usage totals should remain correct.

Re: UPnP Router Monitoring stops after some time   28 October 2014, 22:10

Tried (5k & 10k), the monitoring will still stop. By the way, this is the second router I tried UPnP but same thing happens (Asus & Cisco).

Re: UPnP Router Monitoring stops after some time   29 October 2014, 14:35

Could that be this issue?

Please try the builds from that thread and post here a screen shot when the monitoring stops.

Re: UPnP Router Monitoring stops after some time   29 October 2014, 22:04

It seems like this problem is caused by my Wifi Adaptor. I tried using Networx on my laptop and this problem didn't exist. I'm going to monitor this for a while. Thanks!

Re: UPnP Router Monitoring stops after some time   31 October 2014, 23:00

Sorry for the late response but here you go. This is what came when I used the debugger. It appears not only my PC but my laptop too that are experiencing this kind problem. I attached an imaged of what happened when the monitoring stops.
Attachments:
open | download – debug.png (9.5 KB)

Re: UPnP Router Monitoring stops after some time   01 November 2014, 18:45

For some reason Windows thinks the device has been removed. The log looks exactly like the one in the forum thread I referred to above.

In that thread the issue was solved by deactivating the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface service. You may want to try disabling it as well as described here.

Re: UPnP Router Monitoring stops after some time   02 November 2014, 19:15

Didn't help. sad I disabled it through Command Prompt (Admin) then after the monitoring still stopped.
kinyo

Re: UPnP Router Monitoring stops after some time   07 February 2016, 02:20

I notice this problem is now fixed with 5.5.1 version. ok, yes, thumb up

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.