Monitoring applications

Started by ed1

ed1

Monitoring applications   11 January 2015, 01:03

I have a combination cable modem/router, the Motorola SBG6580. As far as I can tell, this device (at least as configured for the Comcast cable system) does not allow user access to SNMP, so I have not been able to take advantage of Networx's application usage feature.

I noticed in another thread that Andrew referenced either SNMP or UPnP as being necessary for application monitoring in Networx. I believe the SBG6580 does have a UPnP checkbox in its settings software. If so, does this mean that I would be able to use Networx's application monitoring? And, if so, how would I do that?

Thanks.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Monitoring application traffic usage   11 January 2015, 23:37

In order to monitor applications, that is to see what software downloads the most, you don't need the router to support anything. In fact, you don't even need a router.

The application monitoring is activated when you tick the Ignore local traffic within the LAN option at the Main tab.

SoftPerfect support forum
ed1

Re: Monitoring applications   12 January 2015, 05:28

Andrew, that option is greyed out and cannot be selected, no matter which adapter I choose to monitor or if I choose All Connections.

But, I have not installed any of Networx's drivers and am running WinPCap. I can't recall now why you advised me to use WinPCap some time ago - I thought it was to avoid issues with the other drivers.

To let Networx report on usage by application, do I need to reinstall Networx with one of its packaged drivers, and if so, which one gives the least problems?

If I do let Networx monitor application usage, must I choose All Connections? I have a TV video card in the system which Networx shows as a network adapter. I don't need to have the video stream counted as data usage since the ISP does not do so, and in any event the stream is at a very high rate and distorts the reported total data use if All Connections must be monitored.

I thought that the lack of SNMP configurability of my modem/router was a problem for Networx's application usage monitoring. Is that wrong?

Re: Monitoring applications   12 January 2015, 13:32

This option is not available in the portable edition. If you are using the installer, it may not be available if the corresponding option was unticked during the installation.

In other words, the Ignore LAN traffic option needs the NetWorx's own driver to be installed. Although on some systems that driver causes connectivity issues, we have recently fixed a few, so it may work better now.

Anyway, if you want to give it a go and monitor applications, re-install the latest version of NetWorx with the driver and see how it goes. The TV video card's traffic should automatically be discarded by NetWorx.
ed1

Re: Monitoring applications   13 January 2015, 08:35

Andrew, thanks for your replies. I uninstalled Networx 5.3.3 and WinPCap and reinstalled Networx 5.3.3 using the TDI driver. Application usage monitoring is now working!

I am wondering why the SNMP settings appear in the hidden settings. I thought it had to do with application usage monitoring.

Can you help me get the gradient background back in the Taskbar graph? Before I uninstalled Networx, I had a gradient black-grey background in the Taskbar graph. Selecting gradient background for the main graph does not seem to affect the Taskbar graph.

Thanks again.

Re: Monitoring applications   13 January 2015, 16:54

The SNMP settings appear in the hidden settings simply because they may need to be changed, but that is connected with router monitoring.

As to the gradient - I don't know, it works just fine for me:

SoftPerfect support forum
ed1

Re: Monitoring applications   14 January 2015, 01:02

Thanks for answering all of my questions, Andrew.

The problem with the gradient background was that I had selected black for the background color. With any other color, the background works fine.

Networx still has not implemented a transparent background for the Taskbar toolbar graph, correct?

Re: Monitoring applications   14 January 2015, 11:29

No worries.

Unfortunately no transparent background yet.
ed1

Re: Monitoring applications   15 January 2015, 07:26

Sorry to bother you, Andrew, with a couple of additional questions re: application monitoring.

If I press the Reset button, I am assuming that will zero out the history of application usage in addition to the history by date of network data usage. Is that correct? Regardless of which tab is visible in the Usage Report when the Reset button is pressed, correct?

And I am assuming that it is not possible to keep the history of network data usage but zero out the per application usage report, correct?

Re: Monitoring applications   15 January 2015, 13:51

The Reset button zeroes out everything, including the per-application usage.

There is however a way to wipe out the per-application usage records while leaving all other records intact. For this, simply right click the application view and choose Clear Log. You can also delete a specific entry.
ed1

Re: Monitoring applications   15 January 2015, 23:55

Thanks very much, Andrew.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.