NetWorx on SagemCom 1704

Started by Befuddled

Befuddled

NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   13 February 2015, 06:36

Using 5.3.1 on a SagemCom to monitor BW at the router. Seems to work well, but about every three days download BW stops recording. I have a Notification set to let me know when traffic falls below a certain level.

Rebooting the router is the only thing I've found to restore traffic counting.

Uptime durations on the router:
3D 11H 3M 33S
3D 16H 38M 47S
3D 3H 53M 54S
3D 12H 3M 23S

HardWare Version: FAST1704N V1.0 (NAM)
Manufacture Date: N71312550006014
Software Version: 7.247_F1704N_WS

Is there some kind of buffer that's getting overloaded?
Some way to restart in NW instead of rebooting the router?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   13 February 2015, 11:06

How is NetWorx configured to monitor this router? SNMP or UPnP?
Befuddled

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   13 February 2015, 13:05

I believe it's UPnP, but I'm not sure how to verify that. I know 5.2.4 wouldn't read it and this version picked it up easily.

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   13 February 2015, 14:50

It could be this issue: the router box maintains its DL/UL counters which NetWorx polls periodically. The UPnP standard prescribes the counters to be 32-bit unsigned integers. This means they continuously go up from 0 to 4 GB.

There is a chance that your router might have a bug in its firmware code and it uses signed integers, which turns the counters negative as soon as they reach 2 GB. Quite a few routers have this bug.

How much bandwidth does your router handle? Could it be 2 GB in 3 days or it's more than that?
Befuddled

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   13 February 2015, 21:50

Andrew

How much bandwidth does your router handle? Could it be 2 GB in 3 days or it's more than that?

In general, Daily stats average 500-700Mb Down, 60-80Mb Up and 600-800Mb Total with some days much higher.

Potentially, it could hit 2Gb down around 3 days I guess.
Befuddled

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   15 February 2015, 11:37

Just happened again:

2D 5H 14M 40S

But ... I've been migrating to another machine doing a bunch of updating of programs, so I could have hit 2Gb that much earlier. Question is, can anything be done about it?

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   15 February 2015, 19:20

Can you log into the router and reset it's statistics to zero? If so, do that daily and you should be OK (unless your traffic is more than 2GB in which case you'd have to reset more frequently).

Can yo get updated firmware for the router?

My router rolls it's counters after 4GB which isn't a problem for me because I log out after every session and then when about to log in for the first time for a day, I first clear my stats and everything is perfect.

J

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   16 February 2015, 10:21

NetWorx makes use of the Windows built-in UPnP implementation which doesn't handle incorrect data received from the router well.

We can't really fix it because it's deep in Windows core libraries. Having said that, I have added a trial workaround in this build which I recommend to try with this router. If it doesn't help, I am afraid restarting the router or resetting its stats is the only working solution at the moment.
Befuddled

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   16 February 2015, 14:12

It's not really that big a deal, more of an annoyance. I thought it might be a simple setting somewhere.

I have the Speed Meter running for now to see if it recurs around 2Gb since that tracks accumulated usage sort of like a timer/stop watch.

I found about 4 or 5 pages in the router admin area to reset various stats, but I have no idea which set may be causing this. I can reset/reboot the router from the admin screen and it's back online in less than two minutes, so it's not really a problem to do that.
Befuddled

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   17 February 2015, 23:28

Different problem this morning. May be related I guess.

I had a message/error balloon popping up from the task bar icon:
"Unexpected exception occurred
TDiskDB: SQL error or missing database: cannot rollback
No transaction is active"

One other one too that I couldn't capture.

Speed Meter still showed traffic but had stopped accumulating at 1.81Gb down. Usage Report chart hadn't logged anything for the last 5 hours. Could not close/Exit NW normally. Had to kill it from TaskManager. Restarted NW and it seems to be working so far.

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   18 February 2015, 08:47

This error indicates something went wrong under the hood, though I am not sure what it could be. I guess it was a temporary glitch if it's working now.
Befuddled

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   18 February 2015, 08:55

Doesn't really matter considering what I paid for the utility smile

Side question... do you have anything (or know of anything) that shows what svchost.exe is doing? Sometimes I see 8 or 10 instances running in TaskManager. All I've ever been able to find out is that it's an internal process that could be doing any number of things.

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   18 February 2015, 09:41

The svchost.exe process normally runs multiple system services. Here is some info on how to find out what's happening there.
Befuddled

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   05 March 2015, 00:26

The last three times it's happened, this is what I've found in WAN Service Stats:
Interface Description Received Transmitted 
    Bytes Pkts Errs Drops Bytes Pkts Errs Drops 
ppp0.0 pppoe_0_0_35 2147483647 1970705 0 0 142092641 1350392 0 0

While the others have varied, the "2147483647" has been a constant. Resetting those stats clears the logjam.

I haven't tried the build above yet. I'm having some other jitters about things right now, so as long as this works, I'll be content.

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   05 March 2015, 11:02

It's clearly a bug in the router's firmware, that number 2147483647 is 2^31 - 1. Not only it uses a signed integer, it also does not reset it on overflow.

Here is more info about this issue in computer programs.

Re: NetWorx on SagemCom 1704   15 April 2015, 10:27

Weird one last night. NW just stopped recording data. Everything was idle but connected as indicated by the low transfer rates. Had to kill and restart NW to get it working, but it didn't pull any data for those missing hours. Guess I need to try one the new versions.

SoftPerfect support forum
Attachments:
open | download – NW_Blank_Snip.JPG (18.3 KB)

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.