Questions about "Monitor my Router" settings

Started by ed1

ed1

Questions about "Monitor my Router" settings   24 February 2015, 09:40

I have a Motorola SBG6580 combination modem/router gateway. I believe it has SNMP functionality but access is disabled by my ISP (Comcast). I found a likely SNMP community name on another forum and have inserted that in the Networx settings. But I'm not sure that I found the correct name, as I see no WAN interface names in the SNMP dropdown menu that comes up after clicking the Monitor My Router link.

But in the UPnP section of that same dialogue box, my Motorola router name is showing and WANcommonIFC1 is shown as the only choice in the UpnP dropdown menu. When I select that, I am wondering whether I am actually monitoring my router, because I see no data numbers or moving deskband graphic when data is flowing. I have enabled UPnP in the Mororola router software. And, the Mororola router is listed by name in the main Networx settings listing of monitored interfaces.

What am I doing wrong?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Questions about "Monitor my Router" settings   24 February 2015, 09:50

The empty interface selection drop-down box under SNMP suggests that NetWorx cannot obtain those from the router. This could be due to an incorrect community string, SNMP being disabled or a firewall.

Now, the UPnP section is supposed to work if WANcommonIFC1 is shown. Could you perhaps restart the router, then restart NetWorx and try to select it again under UPnP?
ed1

Re: Questions about "Monitor my Router" settings   25 February 2015, 01:12

Andrew, rebooting the modem/router seems to have solved the problem. I didn't even have to reboot the computer or restart Networx. Thank you very much.

1. So, now that I am monitoring my main router via UPnP, this means that data flowing to/from wireless devices that connect to the same router is being captured, as well as date to/from all computers connected by ethernet to the same router. But what about data to/from devices that connect (both wired and wireless) to a remote access point that itself is connected to the main router via ethernet cable?

Just trying to confirm that monitoring my router captures all data to all devices...

2. Should Networx be installed on all connected computers be set to synchronize when Monitor My Router is selected?

3. When monitoring the router, it is not possible to monitor data use by application since the Ignore LAN Traffic option cannot be selected, correct?

Re: Questions about "Monitor my Router" settings   25 February 2015, 03:51

ed1

1. But what about data to/from devices that connect (both wired and wireless) to a remote access point that itself is connected to the main router via ethernet cable?

The RAP is just another device so yes, monitoring the main router that connects to your IP will capture all traffic usage.

2. Should Networx be installed on all connected computers be set to synchronize when Monitor My Router is selected?

No, if more than one PC is monitoring the router and you synchronize you will get double/triple/etc. the figures.
The only time that you'd want to sync would be when you're monitoring a different (non-router) interface (on all the PCs) but then you won't get the traffic for the other wireless devices (tablets running Android or whatever can't run Networx).
The correct way is to run networx on only one PC that is always ON when any other devices are actively using the router.

3. When monitoring the router, it is not possible to monitor data use by application since the Ignore LAN Traffic option cannot be selected, correct?

True.

J

Re: Questions about "Monitor my Router" settings   25 February 2015, 09:16

ed1

Andrew, rebooting the modem/router seems to have solved the problem. I didn't even have to reboot the computer or restart Networx. Thank you very much.

Just a note of caution. Watch it closely for a few days to make sure it's still working, as it's possible that your router exhibits an issue mentioned in this topic.
ed1

Re: Questions about "Monitor my Router" settings   26 February 2015, 23:35

Andrew, just as you suspected, my Networx has stopped displaying any data a couple of days after I rebooted the router. I'm using UPnP. I happened to have downloaded a file of over 1GB the other day, so I suspect that the issue described in that other thread is happening at a 2GB limit.

I see no user accessible setting in the router software to reset the counters.

Should I try the Networx build that you linked to in your February 16th post on that thread? What is different in that build?

Re: Questions about "Monitor my Router" settings   27 February 2015, 11:27

Yes, please try that build. It attempts to convert negative values to positive ones, though I can't test it as we don't have a problematic router at hand.
ed1

Re: Questions about "Monitor my Router" settings   28 February 2015, 04:31

I installed the test build using the recommended driver, rebooted both the computer and the modem/router. Networx immediately started recording data in and out. But, I notice different behavior with this build.

If I monitor the router, or if I monitor all connections but do not check the box to ignore LAN traffic, the download and upload data is almost constantly active as shown on the deskband graph when the computer is idle. If I monitor all connections and check the box to ignore LAN traffic, the data flow at idle drops to zero and remains quiet, which is what I expect to see with an idle computer.

With the release build, when the computer is idle, the data flow drops to zero regardless of whether Networx is monitoring all connections (with or without the box to ignore LAN traffic checked) and also remains at zero when monitoring the router. This is what I would expect when the computer is idle.

So, I think the test build has another issue presenting itself besides the router/counting issue. I do remember that this constant data flow presented itself a long time ago with an earlier Networx build, but I can't recall how it got resolved.

A separate question: When monitoring the router, can I expect the deskband graph to dynamically show data in and out to and from a wireless device (like a cell phone) connected wirelessly to the same router? I don't believe the deskband is reflecting this activity, at least not in real time.
Befuddled

Re: Questions about "Monitor my Router" settings   28 February 2015, 05:35

If that link above is to the thread I started, I have not tried that build yet. I have however found that resetting the WAN Service Stats appears to clear the logjam without rebooting the router. I need to see it happen a couple of more times to be sure.

I'm a little skittish about changing certain things right now.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.