Setting daily notifications for monthly quota

Started by Saul

Saul

Setting daily notifications for monthly quota   24 February 2015, 16:36

Hello,

First of all I want to thank you devs for NetWorx, it is the best software in this category I used and I tried all of them.

I have a monthly cap of 5GB (upload+download) and I wanted to make sure I use only a 1/30 part of it every 24 hrs. I tried to set up Notifications the following way: Received and Sent more | than 170 MB | within 24hrs | All traffic (I don't have on/off peaks).

The thing is, it doesn't work. I very easily get past this limit and nothing happens, I tried the visual alert, the sound alert, even the shutting down option. What's strange is that if I set the Quota for 170MB/24 hrs those alerts appear. But I wanted not to get there, as my quota is still 5GB/month and I want to register that.

Am I missing something? Any suggestion is welcomed and thank you again for reading this.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Setting daily notifications for monthly quota   24 February 2015, 17:06

In this context Received and Sent means both received more than 170 MB and sent more than 170 MB. It does not refer to the sum of these.

I guess you could use the OR alert and set it may be to 150 MB (assuming on average you would use 150 MB DL + 20 MB UL).

Re: Setting daily notifications for monthly quota   24 February 2015, 17:52

Use two instances of Networx. At least one instance must be a 'portable' version.

Instance 1 uses Quota = 5GB per month (5120MB).
Warn if more than 95% used month-to-date.
This also suggests the daily limit for the remaining days in your month.

Instance 2 uses Quota = 170MB per calendar day (assuming a 30 day month, but this could be 28, 29, 30 or 31 days).
Warn if more than 95% used for current calendar day.
This also suggests the hourly limit for the remaining hours in your day.

The Quota warning pops up on your screen.
- - - - -
Notifications would not do exactly what you want because they are based on, in your example, the last 24 hours, a period which overlaps two calendar dates (unless the time of day is midnight).
Saul

Re: Setting daily notifications for monthly quota   24 February 2015, 18:09

You guys are awesome. I think I'll try Andrew's suggestion first as it is easier, but Praxis' is really nifty and I may go with that to be very exact about it.

Thanks again for your fast replies and most of all for NetWorx!

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.