Something wrong with the traffic usage reports accuracy

Started by befuddled

Something wrong with the traffic usage reports accuracy   10 March 2015, 08:53

Recently, hourly rates are generally in the 40-60Mb area, sometimes closer to 80. A few months ago, I rarely broke 40. Rates were usually in the 30Mb range. I'm monitoring the router. There is currently only one PC running with two browsers - Opera with about 10 tabs and Seamonkey with three windows of about 15-20 tabs each. That may sound like a lot, but it's only for convenience. Most of the sites are static; discussion boards like this for the most part. They don't load/reload without my asking them to. One of the windows has several Google News pages open that do auto-reload, but I have disabled them for some of this testing.

I thought I had a ghost copy of Networx running somewhere that was causing the readings to double up. I've had that happen before and could see two instances under Task Manager. I haven't been able to find anything there lately, nor any of the other places I could think of to check.

I took everything off line earlier today, set Networx Speed Meter to 0 and waited until the top of an hour so the hourly Usage Stats would be clean. Then I did two upload/download auto tests on testmy.net with each download test running about 2.5 - 2.6 Mb and each upload test running a little less than 500Kb. At the end of those two tests, both the Speed Meter and the Hourly stats showed roughly 5.3Mb or so of traffic.

I can take both Opera and SeaMonkey offline by means of a 'Work Offline" option in them. When I do that, very little traffic registers -- in the Kb figures per hour. I figure that's a couple of desktop widgets I have that check time and weather. When Windows Update or MS Security Essentials update themselves, you can clearly see the traffic spikes.

With the accuracy of Networx more or less confirmed by that test, I more confused than ever as to how my usage apparently doubled recently with no change in browsing habits.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Something wrong with the traffic usage reports accuracy   10 March 2015, 12:50

Well, NetWorx merely records the numbers received from the router and as your test suggests, it seems to be correct. You can further test it by downloading a file of the known size and see what NetWorx records.

If the recorded numbers are correct, then it's something else like Windows updates or possibly other users connected to this router.

Re: Something wrong with the traffic usage reports accuracy   19 March 2015, 00:00

Could it be ads loading in the background? I have every ad blocker and cookie blocker I can find running so I see almost no ads. But I'm not sure if they prevent the ads from loading entirely, or if they just prevent them from displaying. I kill cookies inbound and outbound. I kill referrers. I even have JavaScript turned off in both main browsers.

I can only see total traffic passed. Is there anything in any of your utilities that shows in more detail what is being loaded and what that weight in BW is?

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.