Does NetWorx measure compressed or uncompressed data?

Started by Nev

Hi

Firstly, thx for a great app!

I started using google's Data Compression Proxy https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/data-compression-proxy/ajfiodhbiellfpcjjedhmmmpeeaebmep?hl=en-GB as I have very limited monthly bandwidth.

The numbers NetWorx returns match what the provider says I use pretty well, although they do seem to overestimate data used:
Vodacom: 1088.04 MB (Vodafone South Africa)
NetWorx: 1047 MB
Difference 41 MB

Of that 360 MB compressed or 871 MB uncompressed came through my Chrome browser according to Google Data Compression Proxy.

Assuming NetWorx measures uncompressed data: 1047 - 871 = 176 MB snuck past my browser as AV updates etc.
If NetWorx measures compressed data: 1047 - 360 = 687 MB snuck past my browser!?
Difference of 41 MB

Through browser according to Google Data Compression Proxy: 187 MB compressed = 423 MB uncompressed.

Assuming NetWorx measures uncompressed data: 1047 - 871 = 176 MB snuck past my browser as AV updates etc.
Assuming NetWorx measures compressed data: 1047 - 360 = 687 MB snuck past my browser!

Unfortunately I didn't zero NetWorx before the experiment so cant say which app used what, but Avira used a lot and then 'svchost'.
Scans with Avira, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Adwarecleaner etc and some anti rootkit apps show nothing, so I assume both NetWorx and Vodacom are reading uncompressed data?

If so, is there any app that reads compressed data so I can catch em at it and cause a stink on social media etc?

Thx again
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Does NetWorx measure compressed or uncompressed data?   08 April 2015, 19:08

NetWorx measures everything that passes through your network connection, which means the compressed data. So does Vodafone. Otherwise there would be no point in using Google Data Compression Proxy.

NetWorx also tends to report lower values when the "Ignore LAN traffic" option is on. When it's on, NetWorx captures traffic at a higher level in the protocol stack, before data is split into TCP/IP packets and transmitted into the network. So the reported numbers do not include what's called the TCP/IP overhead (packet headers), which results in about 5-10% lower values reported. So looks like Vodafone is correct.

For further bandwidth savings, you can also try an alternative called Opera Turbo and install the AdBlockPlus extension into either browser.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.