REFERENCE_BY_POINTER message and BSOD

Started by Lee Morse

Lee Morse

REFERENCE_BY_POINTER message and BSOD   15 May 2015, 12:25

Hi,

I updated to the latest version of Networx 5.4 (11 May 2015) a couple of days ago, and now I am receiving 100% BSOD crashes on Windows 8.1 Pro within 1 minute of startup. I have gone through several cycles of booting to Safe Mode and disabling the start-up applications, and have confirmed that the BSOD only happens when Networx is running. I receive a REFERENCE_BY_POINTER message every time.

I should add that I have been running Networx fine on this machine for over a year, and have been updating to the latest version within a couple of days of release all the time.

Regards
Lee Morse
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER message and BSOD   15 May 2015, 13:13

NetWorx relies on a third-party network filter driver, the latest version of which we bundle with NetWorx. Sometimes the latest version of it, while fixing past bugs, causes a new issue unseen before. This "Unstable connection or errors caused by ignoring LAN traffic" article explains it and suggests a workaround.
Sid

Re: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER message and BSOD   17 May 2015, 21:17

I can confirm that I've been having BSODs with the same message, and after switching the Networx driver it seems to be gone. Thanks for that link Andrew.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER message and BSOD - Fixed   19 May 2015, 15:11

The BSOD issue in the latest TDI driver has been resolved. Please download the latest NetWorx version.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.