Router monitoring shows only a fraction of the whole traffic

Started by hans_peter2

Router monitoring shows only a fraction of the whole traffic   15 June 2015, 02:25

I try to monitor my router Huawei Lte CPE B593. My PC founds the attached details, but the monitoring shows only a fraction of the whole data traffic. What do I wrong?
K.r.
Hans Peter
Attachments:
open | download – Untitled.jpg (91.2 KB)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Router monitoring shows only a fraction of the whole traffic   15 June 2015, 12:28

I am afraid that's the way the router exposes the numbers. Somehow many routers do not report back usage figures immediately.

In our tests, we downloaded a 100 MB file and the router only reported that when the download had ended. This disrupts the charting, however the aggregated usage figures should remain correct.

Re: Router monitoring shows only a fraction of the whole traffic   15 June 2015, 16:57

Thanks for your answer. For your information I can tell you that my IP reports 1,55 Gb during the period june 1 and june 15 while NetWorx reports 219 Mb. Can you perhaps draw any conclusion of this?
K.r.
Hans Peter

Re: Router monitoring shows only a fraction of the whole traffic   15 June 2015, 17:07

Have you been monitoring the router all this time? If so, check if there are periods where NetWorx doesn't see any activity. If that is the case, it's a common issue and here is what happens:

The router box maintains its DL/UL counters which NetWorx polls periodically. The UPnP standard prescribes the counters to be 32-bit unsigned integers. This means they continuously go up from 0 to 4 GB.

Your router however is likely to have a bug in its firmware code and it uses signed integers, which turns the counters negative as soon as they reach 2 GB. So basically NetWorx stops monitoring it once 2 GB of data have passed through the router. After the next 2 GB of data is works again. Then it stops again and so on.

Re: Router monitoring shows only a fraction of the whole traffic   16 June 2015, 05:59

2 questions:
1) Where do I check this: "check if there are periods where NetWorx doesn't see any activity." ?
2) How can I find the monitoring-results for my PC alone before I got the router, for example for april?
K.r.
Hans Peter

Re: Router monitoring shows only a fraction of the whole traffic   16 June 2015, 20:48

1) Check the NetWorx graph periodically to see whether it registers some activity or not. Probably download 4 GB or more and see how much data NetWorx records.

2) Not sure what you are looking for, all reports are here.

Re: Router monitoring shows only a fraction of the whole traffic   19 June 2015, 03:06

Because routermonitoring is so unreliable I am forced to uninstall NetWorx.
/hans peter

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.