NetWorx usage accuracy

Started by Tom 4791

Tom 4791

NetWorx usage accuracy   19 July 2015, 07:01

I love NetWorx. It is the first time I can see our usage in real time. Recently I received an email from my ISP stating my usage has reached 70% of my monthly allowance and offering to sell me more for $10/GB. NetWorx, which I set up to monitor all router activity, shows about 1/4 the usage that the ISP reports (1.7 GB versus 7.0 GB). The ISP claims their monitoring is more precise. Can the accuracy of NetWorx be that far off? I am quite frustrated by never knowing where I am in actual usage. Any suggestions?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: NetWorx Usage Accuracy   19 July 2015, 11:37

How are you monitoring the router, using SNMP or UPnP? Note as well that the monitoring computer must be turned on and poll router's usage 24/7 for accurate readings.
Tom 4791

Re: NetWorx Usage Accuracy   21 July 2015, 00:48

Andrew, thanks for you reply.

My router (D-link 605L) does not support SNMP. I have NetWorx set up to ignore internal network traffic and monitor only the router gateway address.

My set-up is: satellite modem to d-link with an ethernet connection to a desktop PC that runs NetWorx, which is in the start-up group. Sleep is set for 2 hours and almost never happens, unless we go out, in which case there is no traffic. All other devices, mainly 2PC's and a smart phone, have Internet access via the router's wireless network, whenever they are in use.

The satellite ISP does not provide any real time data. The usage data they do supply can be delayed by up to several hours and is rounded to nearest 100 MB. I was hoping with NetWorx to have a better handle on bandwidth use. What do you think about deriving a correction factor by comparing Networx vs Satellite data each morning for prior day's use, as there is no usage between midnight and morning boot-up? This ought to take care of ISP data time lag.

I appreciate any thoughts you might have.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: NetWorx Usage Accuracy   21 July 2015, 09:24

If you have ticked the Ignore LAN traffic option, it means the software is monitoring the traffic from and to the computer where it's installed, not the router. In this case the second PC's and a mobile phone's usage is not recorded, which results in the discrepancy.

Please see this link for details.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.