Floating point errors when resizing

Started by lwdaddio

Floating point errors when resizing   23 July 2015, 07:18

I had a discussion with someone at support last night but don't know how to contact them to continue the discussion. I'm trying to use Networx on an HP Spectre x360 which has a screen resolution of 2560x1440. I'm using version 5.4.0 on Windows 8.1 When I try to use the graph, it comes up with a small window with just a title bar and one line. When I try to resize the window I get a cascade of 'floating point error trying to divide by zero' errors and I have to kill it with the Task Manager. Any one else having a similar problem? Thanks!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: floating point errors when resizing   23 July 2015, 14:08

It's never happened before. To investigate the problem, I have prepared a debug version, please unpack it over the existing networx.exe file and run it. It should send us a bug report upon the division by zero exception.

Re: floating point errors when resizing   24 July 2015, 00:01

The debug version seems to work okay. I've seen this kind of behavior as a developer when I had a memory overwrite situation. The debug version changes where things are in memory and so the release version overwrite moves somewhere else that doesn't cause the error.

Re: floating point errors when resizing   24 July 2015, 11:20

This makes sense, though it's a really rare one. I'd recommend to stick to the debug version then until this error shows up in someone else's system where we can catch it with a debug version.

Re: floating point errors when resizing   24 July 2015, 22:47

My suspicion would be that it has something to do with this HP Spectre x360 screen resolution of 2560x1440. I'm finding lots of applications that aren't handling it right and come up with very tiny text or smaller windows than they should be. I'll keep using the debug version.

BTW, even though I'm following this topic and checked to email about replies, I haven't gotten any notification when you've replied and have had to just keep checking the forums.

Re: Floating point errors when resizing   25 July 2015, 10:42

What about the DPI setting on your system? We have a couple of VP 2772 monitors with the native resolution of 2560x1440 and font size set to 125% and NetWorx is working fine on them.

As to e-mail notifications, please check the gmail's spam folder, that's probably where the notifications ended up.

Update: Font size set to 200% has allowed me to reproduce the issue. Try this build and let me know if this helps.

Re: Floating point errors when resizing   28 July 2015, 02:49

Yes, forgot that I'd increased to 200%. The latest version you linked me to seems to work fine. It does come up as a single line window, but I'm able to resize it without getting the error. Thanks!

Re: Floating point errors when resizing   29 July 2015, 10:41

Just found another minor problem. At DPI 200% I had moved the graph window to the top right of the screen. Then I changed to 150% and the graph couldn't be seen. Tried doing a reset graph but still didn't show. Had to go back to 200% and move it to where it would show at 150%.

Re: Floating point errors when resizing   29 July 2015, 15:40

Hmm seems to be working okay when switching between 150% and 200% and back. Did you do a logoff-logon cycle?

Re: Floating point errors when resizing   30 July 2015, 04:49

Might not have done logoff-logon. Busy now trying to get Windows 10 update to work so will try it again after that, but will probably be several days.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.