Access Violation Error

Started by Dan

Dan

Access Violation Error   08 August 2015, 20:39

In the past (e.g. version 5.4), the General and At-A-Glance tabs appeared to provide valid numbers, but the Per XXX tabs and the Custom Tab were blank. This behavior was good enough for me, so I never pursued it.

I just installed Networx 5.4.1 (not the Portable version) and I am now getting a pop-up window entitled Networx, which says: "Access violation at address 07BBF45 in module networx.exe. Read of address 0498." (excess leading zeros removed from both numbers). This happens whenever I click a tab like Per Day (or Per Week ...). I also get the same error when closing the Usage Report window. However, the General and At-A-Glance tabs work fine. The symptoms are the same from the admin ID or a user one. I tried rebooting, but that didn't affect anything.

I am running on Windows 8.1 with 8GB of memory and lots of free disk space.
Peter

Re: Access Violation Error   08 August 2015, 20:51

I just want to echo the OP. I am also getting the exact same violation error message in networx.exe 5.4.1 when I try to view the per day, per week, per month and custom tabs and when closing the usage window. I tried installing networx using the TDI and the WFP filters. This made no difference.
Unlike the OP, in networx 5.4 all the usage tabs worked fine for me and gave valid stats.
Salta

Re: Access Violation Error   08 August 2015, 21:02

Me too.

Re: Access Violation Error   08 August 2015, 22:03

Having read the above posts:

1) I checked v 5.4.0.15211 2015-07-30 and found that the Custom tab in the Installed instance does not display the fields to select the Date and Time range. Instead I get a pop up stating that I "Failed to set calendar date or time" range.

The two Portable instances supply the range(s) and allow modification. So it's just the Installed that has a problem for the Custom tab on my system for this version using W7-64bit. Both the Installed and Portable do show the correct data for all other tabs.

2) I downloaded both Installed and Portable for v 5.4.1.15220 2015-08-08. I had the same problems as the previous posters.

After installing the Installed version I had to reboot to use new drivers supplied with this version so a major upgrade happened.
When looking at the Portable executables I see that the sqlite 2015-04-20 771KB supplied with v 5.4.0.15211 2015-07-30[/u] was replaced by sqlite 2015-08-06 773KB supplied with v 5.4.1.15220 2015-08-08 and that may be the problem if changes were also made to the databases.

3) I say that because, after reverting to v 5.4.0 2015-07-29, the Installed now provided the Custom date and time range fields rather than the error experienced for the same version earlier and all tabs report the correct data without error. And after installing the 'old' Installed I did NOT have to reboot, which is interesting (but OK).

So, for the other posters, I suggest that they revert to v 5.4.0.15211 2015-07-30 until the problem is sorted out. (I hope they are in the habit of always keeping the most recent 'works correctly' install file for those times when a new file has problems or have a backup like Macrium Reflect that can revert to the 'good' version.)

J

Edit: after re-reading the first post I'm more certain that it's a database issue where somehow there were 'excess zeros' inserted into the database records which then caused the problem when Networx tried to read them and did a string length check and found the data 'too long'.
JukeboxJezabel

Re: Access Violation Error   09 August 2015, 00:37

I am getting the same error that Dan described in the first post. Went back to previous version. Networx team thank you for your hard work it is greatly appreciated. Since ATT started capping bandwith it would be nice if a real time panel that doesn't need refreshing to show usage like the 1st gen. Netmeter 'Totals and Reports' panel. Just a thought.

Re: Access Violation Error   09 August 2015, 02:42

JukeboxJezabel

it would be nice if a real time panel that doesn't need MANUAL refreshing to show usage

You can specify in Settings > Main > "On tray icon click display" that you want to see Monthly traffic.
You can specify in Settings > Main > "On tray icon hover display" that you want to see Monthly traffic.

You can specify in Settings > Graph > "Type" that you want to see Monthly traffic.

You can use Quota, put in an upper limit (lowest = cap#1) and have it display a message if "over xx%" and also send an e-mail warning.
You can change the limit when appropriate, i.e. you went over "cap#1" then enter "cap#2"... and so on.

All of the above are 'real-time'.
- The first requires you to move the mouse and click,
- The second just requires you to move the mouse
- The third just requires a glance from time-to-time
The first three also require you to remember to check.

The last one has a pop up to draw your attention before you go over so you don't need to depend on your memory.

J
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Access Violation Error   09 August 2015, 10:09

Guys, we are sorry about that. There was an development oversight and this bug accidentally made it into the publicly available release. It had been available for download for just a few hours and then was replaced with a fixed build.

Simply download a fresh copy from the home page and everything should be perfect.

Re: Access Violation Error   09 August 2015, 17:38

It's working perfectly on my system, both Installed and Portable.

The new feature to allow values to be specified when the [Reset] button is pressed is handy when we need to adjust totals to agree with the ISP if, for example, Networx wasn't running but traffic was flowing. I had this happen about 3 weeks ago and had to use sqlite to adjust some records to 'get the right totals'. This will be so much easier even though needed only infrequently.

A word of caution though, everything is replaced by the new totals which we specify, and that may be zeros, so for anyone wanting to keep history for prior days, weeks or months, this is not a viable option.
Could you add a Date Range to the new Reset screen so that the new values only replace some of the history? Or perhaps some boxes or a drop down list that would specify Reset only the current Day, Week or Month, leaving everything else intact?

plus it's nice to be rid of the dial-up and time-of-day, they're close to being obsolete nowadays.

Good job Andrew, thank you, ok, yes, thumb up
J
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Access Violation Error   09 August 2015, 18:48

No worries wink

Well, a reset is a reset: either to zero (before) or to an initial value (now). I may be able to add some way to edit usage records though.

As to dropping dial-up or on/off-peak thing, looks like it's still widely used. Specifically dial-up has been replaced with mobile broadband, but the OS handles it the same way as dial-up connections. At least you can turn these features off, if you don't need them.

Re: Access Violation Error   09 August 2015, 21:10

Then let's call it [Clear] so it's like the Clear in the Apps tab where we can get rid of some but not all. laugh
Actually you have similar logic for the Custom tab, in that case the range is used to limit what's displayed.
I'm not trying to load you with work but if the same range logic (dates only, forget about hours) was applied then the records to be cleared would be listed with a pop up to confirm and then apply the two new values afterwards, just might do the trick...

In any event, the suggestion was for other users, I'm good with the way it works now. ok, yes, thumb up
hamidreza

Re: Access Violation Error   11 August 2015, 08:56

thanks for quick support!
i had this problem and today again download fresh copy and it works great.
and please add firewall like bwmeter.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.