Missing Networx Portable taskbar icon after update and reboot

Started by Ho72

I downloaded NW Portable on 8/13 and had it configured for my use. On 8/15 I applied two updates to Win 8 (KB3072306 and KB3078601) and after the required reboot, NW will not appear in the taskbar tray. Task Manager says it's running but multiple attempts to make the icon appear have failed.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

P.S.
As an experiment, I loaded the 32bit version instead of the 64bit and it too worked fine until a reboot. It appears the icon is being suppressed but disabling my AV doesn't seem to help.

SoftPerfect support forum
Update: I am now running NW-32 in compatibility mode (Vista SP2) and it survived a reboot. ok, yes, thumb up I may try it with NW-64 but someone would have to educate me on the advantages of using that version...
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Missing Networx Portable taskbar icon after update and reboot   17 August 2015, 15:39

It could be virtually anything. You may also want to follow this advice on how to restore the notification area icon.
I have the same problem on win 8.1: at reboot networx starts but with no tray icon (so if it was minimized is is impossible to restore it without the tray Icon). If I change the directory from where the portable version is started, I can see the icon in tray just until I reboot: note that used directory are sort of remembered for this behavior.
I just tried to put the executable in compatibility mode and after a restart of the app I can see the icon back.
Very strange.

Regards.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.