UPnP set in router but not functioning

Started by alrui

UPnP set in router but not functioning   21 August 2015, 02:19

Hi Folks - I have UPnP set up so I can monitor my whole wireless network, but cannot get NetWorx to actually count the bandwidth usage (though it works fine when set ONLY to the computer its installed on). When in settings I can see the router network name (NETGEAR DSL Router) and WANCommoninterfaceConfig so it see the router but again no monitoring occurring & no IP nor MAC address is showing under monitored interfaces after selecting. I've re-booted and restarted host computer to no avail. Any thoughts on what may be wrong? This is a Frontier branded Netgear 7550 router. Please advise & Thanks in advancesmile

Arnold R.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   21 August 2015, 03:02

IP and MAC addresses aren't show when using UPnP - that's by design.

However, not monitoring is a separate issue. I recommend to reset the router to see if it helps and post here a screen shot of the UPnP configuration dialog in NetWorx.

Re: UPnP Set In Router But Not Functioning   21 August 2015, 14:59

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the reply. Attached are 3 images of my settings, if you could review them and provide me some insight as to why I cant get things working I'd greatly appreciate it as the program looks excellent. Curious though you mention the IP and MAC addresses arent shown by design why are they shown when I choose just my wireless adapter under monitored interfaces? Is it a security measure of some kind? Please advise.

Thanks Again
Arnold R.
Attachments:
open | download – SettingMain.JPG (49.5 KB)
open | download – Setting Router.JPG (30.3 KB)
open | download – Usage.JPG (35.4 KB)
Dinesh

Re: UPnP Set In Router But Not Functioning   21 August 2015, 16:01

Same issue here it works for 10-12 mins and it starts showing 0 Kb when Router is used

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   21 August 2015, 18:50

The IP and MAC addresses (of a local adapter) are shown when you choose a local adapter than has both assigned. Otherwise those are zeros.

Regarding this UPnP issue, it should generally work unless the router has a bug: the router box maintains its DL/UL counters which NetWorx polls periodically. The UPnP standard prescribes the counters to be 32-bit unsigned integers. This means they continuously go up from 0 to 4 GB.

There is a chance that your router might have a bug in its firmware code and it uses signed integers, which turns the counters negative as soon as they reach 2 GB. Quite a few routers have this bug and currently NetWorx stops monitoring such a router if this happens.

You could also try one of these tools to see if either works:
  1. UPnP Monitor
  2. UPnP Gateway Traffic Monitor

Re: UPnP Set In Router But Not Functioning   22 August 2015, 02:20

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at those products. Im not sure its the bug you mention though as throughput never even starts to count let alone getting to 2GB. I have an old Linksys wireless router that has far more options then simply turning UPnP on/off but is there any way it would se throughput from the Netgear (Frontier) router in that config? I dont think it would but....

Thanks
Arnold R.

Re: UPnP Set In Router But Not Functioning   22 August 2015, 15:17

UPnP Monitor says no device found even though XP is configured properlysad Any thoughts on my additional router idea? Please advise.

Thanks Again
Arnold R.

Re: UPnP Set In Router But Not Functioning   22 August 2015, 16:59

Well that means something isn't quite right with UPnP and that's probably why it doesn't work in NetWorx either.

As to the additional router, I am afraid I am not sure. You'd need to experiment to see if that can work as you expect.
fatzu

Re: UPnP Set In Router But Not Functioning   22 August 2015, 19:04

Try to disable ipv6 on your network device

Re: UPnP Set In Router But Not Functioning   23 August 2015, 00:27

In the router or on the PC running NetWorx? I dont see any setting in this router to enable/disable iPv6.

Thanks
Arnold R.
fatzu

Re: UPnP Set In Router But Not Functioning   24 August 2015, 17:20

On your PC - EthernetCard Device
Rob BEll

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   01 September 2015, 09:42

I am having the same issue. Been using Networx for quite sometime and just started to flake out when I got a new PC. New PC has Windows 10 if that helps. UPNP will show up and Networx will work for 10-15 minutes or so then stop, UPNP is gone from menu, restart and it works for awhile. Just disabled IPV6 to see if it does anything.

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   01 September 2015, 16:18

Rob BEll

UPNP is gone from menu, restart and it works for awhile.

Restart what?
Rob

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   01 September 2015, 21:26

It will disaper from the settings > Router menu. When WANComm is not an option under UPnP Networx will see no traffic. On a side note when I disabled IPv6 last night it did nothing.

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   02 September 2015, 01:56

Same here as far as disabling Ipv6 - no changesad
Rob

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   03 September 2015, 09:42

Soooooo... Where do we stand?

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   03 September 2015, 16:18

UPnP doesn't work well, that's all I can say and I am afraid the reasons are unclear.
Rob

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   04 September 2015, 10:20

Any tips on getting the SNMP to work with the Action Tech MI424WR? It worked great until I got the new machine.

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   04 September 2015, 16:49

What do you mean? It worked with this router from another computer, but not the current one?
Rob

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   04 September 2015, 21:25

Correct. Been using the program for ages. Stopped properly working when I got a new PC, new PC is Windows 10, same router Action Tech MI424WR.

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   04 September 2015, 22:56

Then perhaps it's the firewall?

Or incorrect SNMP settings, take a look at the hidden settings, namely Router SNMP version and Router SNMP v1 and v2 community. Try version 0 and 1 and make sure the community string matches that set in the router. It acts like a password.
Rob

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   09 September 2015, 08:59

Any other ideas? I have tried all recommendations and it still does not work reliably. Should I just remove the program and move on?

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   09 September 2015, 13:15

Then perhaps you should move on. I am afraid I can't advise anything helpful in this situation.
Rob

Re: UPnP set in router but not functioning   12 September 2015, 07:47

WOW!! That's a real bummer. I will continue to plug along and hopefully it will work again.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.