Lost settings. Monitoring stops after reboot

Started by hades

hades

Lost settings. Monitoring stops after reboot   29 August 2015, 03:44

Hello
I have been using Networx for over a year now, great piece of kit BTW, but since changing my settings to monitor my router only, every time i reboot it i lose all monitoring and have to change the community string in the router to match the hidden settings, is this normal?

This is how i have set things up so far:
I have SNMP enabled in the router settings but i have a Community name (read-only) box and a Community name (write-only) box here, initially they were both named "public" which matched the SNMP v1 and v2 community value in the hidden settings, but i did not have any drop down boxes in the WAN interface, so i changed both community name boxes in the router and also in hidden SNMP v1 and v2 community value settings which then allowed me to choose the "vc0" setting in the WAN interface and monitoring was enabled. All worked well so i shut down both the pc and router as i normally do last thing at night, but next day when rebooting i had lost all monitoring and had to start all over again by changing the community names in the router and hidden settings, is it possible to close down the router at night and keep settings on reboot?
Regards
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Lost settings   29 August 2015, 04:31

All settings are kept, NetWorx doesn't erase anything on reboot. Check where your configuration file networx.db is and make sure it's kept on your hard disk.

One thing I don't understand in your description though. Even if somehow NetWorx has forgotten all its settings, does that mean your router did as well?
hades

Re: Lost settings   29 August 2015, 04:59

Thanks for your swift reply, the router keeps it's settings and the only way i can re-enable monitoring is to change the password strings of Community name (read-only) box and Community name (write-only) box in SNMP, and then match that to the SNMP v1 and v2 community value in the hidden settings. Am i changing the correct option in hidden settings?
My C-drive-ProgramData-Softperfect-Networx folder contains networx.db-shm and networx.db-wal files, are these configuration files?

Re: Lost settings   29 August 2015, 17:19

Yes, that's where the configuration files are, so it should work fine.

Do I understand correctly that monitoring stops working after a reboot, though both NetWorx and the router keep their settings? Or NetWorx doesn't remember the entered community name?

Re: Lost settings   29 August 2015, 18:47

He doesn't explain himself properly. Although he says that the router keeps it's settings, he then says that he has to change the SNMP settings in the router. That indicates that the router didn't keep the settings for SNMP, it changed them, to 'something'.

He doesn't say what the router SNMP 'something' settings were after a reboot (and that had to be changed to match what was in the Networx settings, which didn't change).

And if I'm wrong in my interpretation, then Hades needs to provide the missing information.

J
hades

Re: Lost settings   29 August 2015, 23:01

I am not at all pc literate and getting on in years, so i will try again, thanks for your inputs so far:
I set up the monitoring by making sure the 2 x community name boxes [read and write] under SNMP in the router have the same "password" as the SNMP v1 and v2 community value in the hidden settings in Networx, this then gives me the dropdown options in the WAN interface where i select the "vc0" setting, all monitoring is great. I then reboot after having shutdown both router and pc overnight but when i click on the Networx graph nothing is showing-no upload /download values and the graph is not moving right to left,there is no info on the graphical interface and i have no dropdown options in the WAN interface. When i go into SNMP in router the "password" is still showing as per the previous day in both community boxes and still matches the SNMP v1 and v2 community value in the hidden settings but nothing is happening on the graph. I then change the "password" in both community boxes and also in SNMP v1 and v2 community value in the hidden settings so they match, i then have the dropdown options in WAN interface where i again choose vc0 and monitoring begins-the graph shows upload/download values and starts moving left. Am i doing something wrong, Help!
Kind Regards

Re: Lost settings   29 August 2015, 23:33

I don't know, it sounds to me like the router doesn't have SNMP active until its community strings are changed. Try perhaps not shutting it down?

Re: Lost settings   30 August 2015, 06:38

When you have the router SMTP config screen showing the Get=Read and Set=Write community names/passwords which haven't changed from yesterday, can you leave them "as is" without changing them and click [Save] and have networx read the data?
Or do you have to change them in order to Save them and then make the same change in networx?

You only need the Get/Read name because that's all that networx uses to read data from the router, networx does not Set/Write to the router. That's why there's only one 'hidden' parameter for "Router SNMP V1 and V2 community" in networx.

However, just above that in networx there's a parameter "Router SNMP version (1-3 or 0 for "default" ). Mine is set to "0" (zero) since I don't know what version the router actually uses. Is yours set to zero? Have you tried 1, 2 or 3?

Andrew, does "0" mean auto-detect SNMP version?

My router only provides a single WAN interface option which makes my choice simple, it simply appears in the box without any action on my part.
How many options do you see in the drop down box, since you say that you have to select "vc0"?
If there are several, have you tried the others, one at a time with rebooting in between?

What kind of router do you have?

Have you tried setting the Get/Read and networx name back to "public"?

J

Re: Lost settings. Monitoring stops after reboot   30 August 2015, 16:04

Praxis

Andrew, does "0" mean auto-detect SNMP version?

0 means use the built-in Windows functions, which I believe use SNMPv1 in the end.
1, 2 or 3 use NetWorx's own SNMP implementation in which the SNMP version can be explicitly set.
hades

Re: Lost settings. Monitoring stops after reboot   30 August 2015, 22:36

Hello,in reply to Praxis:
"When you have the router SMTP config screen showing the Get=Read and Set=Write community names/passwords which haven't changed from yesterday, can you leave them "as is" without changing them and click [Save] and have networx read the data?
Or do you have to change them in order to Save them and then make the same change in networx?"

I do not have an option to "Save" the passwords,the SNMP page only gives me the option to "Apply Changes",so yes i have to change them-apply changes and then apply the same to Networx.

My router only provides a single WAN interface option which makes my choice simple, it simply appears in the box without any action on my part.
How many options do you see in the drop down box, since you say that you have to select "vc0"?
If there are several, have you tried the others, one at a time with rebooting in between?

I have 21 options in the dropdown box: lo / eth0 / eth0_sw0 / eth0_sw1 /eth0_sw2 / wl0 /eth0_sw3 / wlan0-vap0 / wlan0-vap1 / wlan0-vap2 / wlan0-vap3 / br0 / vc0 / ppp0 / ppp1 / ppp2 / ppp3 / ppp4 / ppp5 / ppp6 / ppp7
i chose "vco" as that is what shows in my WAN configuration box in the ADSL Router Status page.I have since tried all the options listed above and still cannot keep my settings on reboot.

What kind of router do you have?
MY router is the OBSERVA TELECOM AW4062,it is provided by Telefonica in Spain,i did think about replacing it as it seems very cheap but the one time i reset it i lost all internet connectivity and customer services were able to fix things remotely,which they could not do to a different make/model,is that correct?

Have you tried setting the Get/Read and networx name back to "public"?

Tried and everything is good until reboot when i am back to square one.I think i shall have to stop shutting the router down at night.I was hoping it was a simple thing that i was doing wrong,but it appears to be the router.Thanks for all the help from everyone though,much appreciated.
Regards

Re: Lost settings. Monitoring stops after reboot   30 August 2015, 23:43

Leaving the router on won't use much electricity (cost) so if that works, great.

You'll only have the problem if the power goes off (anytime) if your equipment isn't protected by a UPS (Uninterupted Power Supply = battery backup power).

J

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.