Abort all active connections when limit is reached

Started by ins0mn1ac

Abort all active connections when limit is reached   11 November 2015, 22:21

Hello,

First I want to congratulate you for your application, excellent work!
I am using NetWorx to limit daily bandwidth usage on a computer. I have set a daily limit and checked the option to block network traffic when the limit is reached and it works perfectly while browsing. However, when I am downloading a file or watching a youtube video or stream the download or video is not interrupted. I would like to request as a feature to add an option that when selected will abort ALL active connections when the daily limit is reached.

Thank you very much and thanks in advance for your time!
Panos
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Abort all active connections when limit is reached   12 November 2015, 10:12

It should block all network activity, whether downloads or browsing. NetWorx makes use of a third-party driver to do so, so I'd recommend to reinstall NetWorx, this time choosing the WFP driver to install over TDI as it may work better.

Re: Abort all active connections when limit is reached   12 November 2015, 15:55

Thanks for your reply Andrew! I am using the program on Windows XP and there is no other driver except for the TDI sad

Re: Abort all active connections when limit is reached   12 November 2015, 19:45

Ah, I think I misunderstood you a little. Are you saying that NetWorx doesn't abort current connections, but successfully blocks new connections? Let's say, when NetWorx blocks the network, watching a YouTube video won't be interrupted, but new videos can't be started?

Re: Abort all active connections when limit is reached   12 November 2015, 21:03

Yes, new videos or sites cannot load, but if the quota is exceeded while a video is loading or a file download is in progress they will not be interrupted. I would like them to be interrupted.

Also I am facing another problem with DeepFreeze. Although NetWorx is installed in Thawspace, its database with the traffic stats is stored in C which is frozen. So after a computer restart the traffic stats are being reset.

The program will be installed in a public computer with a Mobile (3G) connection, this is why those 2 features are important smile

Re: Abort all active connections when limit is reached   15 November 2015, 23:10

That's strange, I wasn't able to reproduce this issue. The downloads seem to be blocked as soon as the quota is used up. I set up a 20 MB quota, started downloading a 100 MB file (using IE) and it stopped at about 25 MB. There's always a bit of extra download because the quota's usage is checked once a minute.

Regarding the database location, you can move it elsewhere by changing the Database Location setting in the hidden settings or creating a symbolic link to a different location.

Re: Abort all active connections when limit is reached   16 November 2015, 04:10

That is excellent news!! Thanks to your hidden settings I have managed to solve almost all of my problems smile I moved the database just like you said and it works fine with deepfreeze. I also changed the "minute ticks every" setting to 10s and youtube videos seem to be interrupted when quota is reached. However while I was downloading a 50MB file with Chrome and I had only 20MB remaining in the quota the download was completed successfully. I have to note here that the msg "quota exceeded" was poped up, but the download was not interrupted. Maybe Chrome uses different method for download than IE... idk :/

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.