Updated NetWorx - lost usage history

Started by Walt

Walt

Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   24 November 2015, 23:46

Updated Networx - lost 11 months of usage history.
What is the file name of where this is stored? Maybe I can find it in one of my recent Image backups and copy it to where it belongs?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

How to recover NetWorx usage history - where it is stored   25 November 2015, 08:51

It's in NetWorx.DB in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\SoftPerfect\NetWorx, which is usually

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SoftPerfect\NetWorx (Windows XP)
C:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\NetWorx (Windows Vista and above)
Jan

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   29 November 2015, 09:57

Updated Networx, lost all usage history. I need last month's, where can I find it? Windows 7
Jan

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   29 November 2015, 10:09

Me again. I tries the above, from Andrew, but Windows 7 won't open it. Tried downloading SQLite, but was stymied. Any suggestions?

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   29 November 2015, 10:20

Could you please provide more details regarding your statement "Windows 7 won't open it"? Is there an error message or something else? If there is a message, what does it say?
Jan

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   02 December 2015, 11:44

Thanks for the prompt reply Andrew. When I put C:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\NetWorx into the "search programs and files" bar I get 3 possibilities: an Adobe Reader version (db-wal file), which when I click on tells me "There was an error opening this document. This file is already open or in use by another application."; a Windows version (db-shm file), which says "Windows can't open this file" then says I can select a program from the list it offers or find one on the web (no luck there, so far); and a Word Pad version (db) which says the same as the Adobe Reader version.

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   02 December 2015, 13:29

These are NetWorx database files (in the SQLite format), it doesn't make sense to try to open them in other programs.

Normally when you update NetWorx to a newer version all usage data is preserved. My best guess would be you performed an uninstall first and NetWorx (being a good program that cleans up after itself) removed your usage data. In this case there is no way to recover it unless you have backup copies.
Jan

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   05 December 2015, 15:27

Thanks again, Andrew. Yes I did uninstall first, as when I try to install Networx, a window pops up and says the program is already running and needs to be closed. I'm not running it anywhere, so I figured the only way to install it, I needed to uninstall it first. Not so? Anyway, I guess October's data usage record is lost, so no big matter, I'll have to jot down the month's usage somewhere so if there's an update, I won't lose it.

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   05 December 2015, 17:18

In order to update to a newer version, yes you do need to close the running app, but it does not mean uninstall it wink

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   05 December 2015, 19:17

Close any programs that automatically download 'stuff', such as e-mail.
Don't do this when your AV is scheduled to update... etc. You don't want to lose that history...

Then:
Double click the Networx install file.
When that message pops up and you need to Close the program: right click on the icon in the systray OR left click on the icon in the task bar.
Select Exit.
Carry on with the install.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.