NetStat data transfer difference

Started by navporky

NetStat data transfer difference   07 February 2016, 15:06

Hi Andrew,

Please look at the this video (1.3 MB). It highlights the data transfer speeds at 3 places - NetWorx Graph, NetWorks NetStat and qBittorrent. For the duration of the video, qBittorrent is the only application using the internet (some background usage by other apps may happen, which should be captured in NetStat).

However, NetStat seems to be out of sync by a big margin from the other two - Graph and qBittorrent; these two seem to be in sync more or less. Is this meant to be so (why?) or am I missing something?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: NetStat data transfer difference   07 February 2016, 16:49

Looks like a bug to me. What are you using for monitoring: the Ignore local traffic within the LAN tickbox or a WinPCap adapter?

Re: NetStat data transfer difference   07 February 2016, 19:22

I have set the tick box for ignoring LAN traffic and I installed with recommended settings of the installer. However, I have winpcap as I have wireshark installed.

Re: NetStat data transfer difference   08 February 2016, 12:35

I have run some tests and found that this happened because you had Only Established Connections ticked. This option displays established TCP connections only, while a Torrent program usually transfers data over UDP. Simply untick this option and you should be able to see full speed in Netstat.

Re: NetStat data transfer difference   08 February 2016, 14:03

Yeah!! Thanks Andrew.

Re: NetStat data transfer difference   08 February 2016, 19:42

I think there is something amiss still. The gap is considerable even after Only Established Connections as unchecked. Please look at this video (<1 MB)..

Re: NetStat data transfer difference   09 February 2016, 15:39

Hmm... do you have IPv6 working? We didn't have a chance to test it properly as our ISP doesn't support IPv6, but there's a possibility that Netstat misses out on some IPv6 connections.

Re: NetStat data transfer difference   09 February 2016, 22:38

No IPv6 ... not from ISP (at router) and not on this PC either.

Re: NetStat data transfer difference   10 February 2016, 16:18

Sorry I couldn't reproduce this. I have installed NetWorx and qTorrent on a Windows 10 machine and all reported numbers were alike.

Here is a video I recorded. Unfortunately I am unable to delve in it when this bug doesn't occur, so I guess we'll have to wait to see if anyone else reports it.

Re: NetStat data transfer difference   11 February 2016, 13:15

Sure, I understand. However, in your video, there is a difference in the "upload" ... qBittorrent is reporting 0 but NetWorx is reporting usage.

Re: NetStat data transfer difference   11 February 2016, 13:57

I guess this could be acknowledgements or some other kind of protocol data. Not uploading the actual file contents, but talking to other BitTorrent nodes.

Re: NetStat data transfer difference   12 February 2016, 00:37

Yes, quite right. Thanks.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.