How can I isolate network usage by IP address?

Started by cgilley

How can I isolate network usage by IP address?   22 February 2016, 01:13

Love networx, allows me to nail those pesky kids streaming video all the time; however, I am in an awkward situation. They are accusing me of being the bandwidth hog smile.

I am a consultant, and I travel daily to customer locations. During the day, I can easily move 100s of GB of data to/from my laptop to other network servers. This gets logged by networx, and confuses all the reports. Is there a way to cypher the data - isolate it to a specific IP address for a given user? For example, my IP address at home will always be a 192.168.3.* value, while my corporate network will be 172.something.

thanks

Re: How can I isolate network usage by IP address?   22 February 2016, 02:39

I assume 'they' are your children pointing to the 'work' traffic volume, and that you share the laptop with them when 'home'.

You can have multiple Portable instances, each one can have it's own DB, so when at home, run the "home" instance, when at work, run the "work" instance.
You wouldn't want to have both of these Start with Windows, you'd start them manually.
Then the 'work' totals are completely separate from the 'home' totals.

J
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How can I isolate network usage by IP address?   22 February 2016, 07:35

Alternatively, if you only need to record your usage at home and exclude work usage, you could simply select the networks where the monitoring is enabled. This can be done by clicking Networks in the Main tab of NetWorx settings.

Re: How can I isolate network usage by IP address?   12 March 2016, 07:26

"they" be the children and noted data hogs. Good idea on the portable stuff, but I think Andrew's suggestion will do nicely.

thanks

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.