Speed Meter reading is much lower than online speed test

Started by ed1

ed1

Speed Meter reading is much lower than online speed test   24 March 2016, 01:36

I am using Networx 5.5.2 on a Win10 x64 system and Comcast cable for internet service.

When I run Networx Speed Meter, I get readings of 15 mb/s for downloads and 1 mb/s for uploads. When I run the online test at speedtest.net, I get readings of 180 mb/s download and 12 mb/s upload. When I run the test at speedtest.xfinity.com, the results are virtually identical to the speedtest.net results. The ping readings are almost identical on all three tests.

Why the disparity?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Speed Meter reading is much lower than online speed test   24 March 2016, 07:18

Two reasons most likely:
  1. By default NetWorx reports average speeds, while most on-line tools report maximum speeds.
  2. By default NetWorx uses smaller test sizes which may show inaccurate results on fast connections.
By clicking the Settings button (with the Gear), you can increase the size of the transferred data and the type of speeds reported.

Alternatively, you can download the latest NetWorx build, and the statistics will look like this:
SoftPerfect support forum
ed1

Re: Speed Meter reading is much lower than online speed test   25 March 2016, 06:21

I just ran the tests again after resetting the upload and download file size for the Networx test to the largest size, 32mb, and with the Networx test set to show maximum transfer rates. The results are the same - the Networx test is showing speeds less than 10% of the rates shown on the online tests.

Is there any other reason the Networx test varies so much from the other tests?

Also, on my system, I cannot set Networx to show both the maximum or average transfer speeds - either maximum or average may be selected but not both. So my results page doesn't display both as the picture in the post above does. Why would my Networx be different?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Speed Meter reading is much lower than online speed test   25 March 2016, 09:59

There's a 90% difference is because the default speed units are bytes per second, see this article for details.

The screen shot comes from a new build where we eliminated the Speed Meter settings. It now reports both average and maximum speeds and chooses test size automatically.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.