Applications tab not working with WinPCap

Started by lennardf1989

lennardf1989

Applications tab not working with WinPCap   29 March 2016, 05:11

Hello,

Before I begin, awesome product! You guys obviously took really great care of it and how it works, also in terms of support, so far all the issues I had I could fix because of an official reply on this forum, so thanks!

Now my problem: I installed Networx with the built-in driver at first, works great and I could even see bandwidth usage per application in the "Usage reports". For Wireshark however, I just wanted to install WinPCap, as I read you guys support that too, I uninstalled Networx, rebooted and reinstalled without any drivers. Sure thing, the WinPCap shows up as intended! However, while the Netstat window works now, the applications tab tells me I have to enable the "Ignore LAN traffic" option in settings, which is obviously not possible with WInPCap, as I have a seperate internet device for that.

Is this something I can fix? Or should I revert back to the working driver? Does it work if I have WinPCap installed as well?

Lennard
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Applications tab not working with WinPCap   29 March 2016, 09:03

Thank you for your feedback.

While NetWorx supports filtering out LAN traffic using WinPCap, recording data per application is not possible with it.

The network driver that comes with NetWorx is a TDI/WFP driver that sits higher in the networking stack and the application context is available to it. WinPCap however is a NDIS driver that sits lower in the networking stack and receives no application context, as per this diagram:

SoftPerfect support forum

So if you want to capture per application information, you would need to use the NetWorx driver.
lennardf1989

Re: Applications tab not working with WinPCap   29 March 2016, 21:14

Totally makes sense, thank you for explaining, I reinstalled with the driver and am back in business smile

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.