Conflict with OpenVPN

Started by rtboyce

rtboyce

Conflict with OpenVPN   16 May 2016, 05:04

I have had a problem for a few months that I've traced to a conflict between OpenVPN and NetWorx.

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, fully patched in a Virtualbox 5.0.16 VM running on a Mac host. I am using Networx 5.5.4 64-bit. I am using OpenVPN 2.3.11 with OpenSSL 1.0.1t via OpenVPN GUI 10.

The problem is that, about two hours after I bring up a VPN using the GUI, the GUI informs me that the connection has been terminated. The VPN still seems to be working, but the GUI thinks it's down and cannot regain control until I kill the OpenVPN daemon. As far as I can tell from reading the forum, this is related to ignoring the LAN traffic. I also have the VPN IP addresses ignored. I have reinstalled with WFP instead of TDI, but the problem remains.

I have just found what seems to be a workaround. This requires that I shut down NetWorx, then bring up the VPN, then restart NetWorx. I would like to shut down NetWorx in a batch file, so is there a way to do this from the command line without killing the process?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Conflict with OpenVPN   16 May 2016, 10:28

Yes, it's most likely an issue with the LAN traffic filtering driver. Unfortunately we can't really do anything about it since the driver is third-party.

As to the workaround, you can use taskkill to quit NetWorx.

Alternatively make it not start automatically. Instead, create a batch file to bring up the VPN and then launch NetWorx, so launching this batch file would activate both in the right order.
rtboyce

Re: Conflict with OpenVPN   17 May 2016, 00:21

I don't want the VPN always up, so I'll use taskkill when I need to start the VPN. I've found that NetWorx doesn't respond to a request from taskkill, so the force option has to be used. Please consider adding a command line option to enable a graceful shutdown.

Thank you for your software and support.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.