How to name Unnamed networks. How to exclude ARP requests from monitoring

Started by hurleyp

I am using NetWorx on a Win10/64 Pro machine, and I monitor a DD-WRT enabled router (via SNMP) connected to a cable modem. On that router are connected 2 other DD-WRT routers, but they do not have SNMP enabled. Everything works well, but I have questions about the Networks... button on the Settings dialog:

1) Clicking the Networks button shows the Networks dialog. In the list box I see 3 networks listed, with their MAC addresses and a "Last connected" date. All of the Names are "Unnamed". Is there a way I can change those names to something easy to remember? (For example, "Cable Modem", "Root Router", etc.)

2) Because of recent changes made by my ISP, there is a steady stream of ARP requests (up to 130 per second) going through the cable modem. In the Networks dialog, I can uncheck the cable modem with the assumption it won't be monitored. However, the graph still shows the ARP traffic. Is there a way around this, or is this the way SNMP works?

Thanks
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to name Unnamed networks. How to exclude ARP requests from monitoring   16 October 2016, 12:30

Yes, you can change those names by triple-clicking a name - it will enter the edit mode:

SoftPerfect support forum

As far as I understand this stream of ARP requests is generated by some device, not NetWorx itself. It's best to investigate why that happens and change the config if necessary.
The triple-click tip did the trick for naming my networks. As for filtering the ARP requests, I think I am stuck with them. ARP requests are being router through my cable modem (and probably every other cable modem on my local subnet) by the ISP and their CMTS. These requests are benign, neither impacting performance nor counting against my bandwidth allocation. But NetWorx sees them and they are being graphed. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if they could be ignored somehow.

Thanks

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.