One username is not registering traffic

Started by Roy

Roy

One username is not registering traffic   07 January 2017, 01:22

Good Afternoon

I have been using Networx since March 2016 and it has worked very well until yesterday.

The version is still 5.5.5 and is set up to record traffic on a desktop PC which has two log-in accounts (wife and self) both as administrators. The Usage Report breaks down the "Users" box to show our two names and thus the breakdown of the traffic between us.

Since yesterday the only account registering traffic is the one allocated to my wife whereas mine shows no activity despite my usage being pretty much as normal.

Settings are unchanged - ignore local traffic is OFF - but I have been looking around the programme more deeply than usual since the announcement of the change to a licence based version. As far as I am aware I haven't made any changes.

Any idea why this has happened ?

Regards

Roy
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: One username is not registering traffic   07 January 2017, 09:42

Are you both staying logged in at the same time?

Normally when more than one user logs in, NetWorx attributes all usage to the user that logged in first and this continues until the first user logs out.
Roy

Re: One username is not registering traffic   07 January 2017, 20:53

Yes, we are more often than not both logged in, but usually the unused account is in sleep mode - we don't fully log in and out as each of us uses the machine. Does that constitute a log-out in Networx's system?

As I said, I have had the programme on this PC for about 9 months now and I have never noticed this before.

I am weighing up whether to upgrade to v.6 as we now have a laptop as well with same account arrangements - if I set up v.6 to synchronise with PC and laptop, will this same situation exist?

The division of usage is certainly of some interest to me, but my main requirement is to monitor all internet traffic for our total usage on both machines.

Hope this rambling makes some sense - look forward to your comments.

Regards
Roy

PS. Have tried to set up a forum profile, but no activation details received yet.

Re: One username is not registering traffic   08 January 2017, 13:05

I suppose if you don't fully log out, two instances of NetWorx keep running and then the attribution of usage can be made to either of the names, depending on who logged in first. It's probably been like that, just unnoticed for a while. If you'd like an accurate figure for each user, please log out after using the PC, so that NetWorx doesn't stay running concurrently.

If you now have another computer, you can install NetWorx on it as well. While NetWorx can only monitor traffic on the computer it is installed on, the instances of NetWorx can talk to each other so that each instance is synchronised and shows the actual overall usage. This synchronisation needs to be turned on in the advanced settings.

Version 6 doesn't really offer anything new in this area, but we'll be adding a few new exciting features soon. Amongst them, a list of sites that used most bandwidth.

I have also manually activated your forum profile (da****ear), so now you should be able to log in and post using the account.
daddybear

Re: One username is not registering traffic   08 January 2017, 21:09

Thanks Andrew -

I'm sure you are right that the programme has always behaved like that but that I have never noticed it before. I have only seen it recently whilst looking in detail at what I have got now whilst working out whether to go for version 6.

"Version 6 doesn't really offer anything new in this area" - even though you say this it looks as though I haven't any choice but to purchase the new version if I want my laptop included and to be synchronised as I only have the programme installed on my desktop PC and I never kept the installer last year as the programme was free then and I didn't have the laptop.

My fault re. the forum activation - the e-mail went into my "spam" folder and I never thought to check, sorry !!

Regards
Roy

Re: One username is not registering traffic   08 January 2017, 21:53

The new version is not meant to be money extortion. We'd rather see users moving to the new version either because its new features are appealing (there will be new features soon) or simply because they want to support further development of NetWorx.

If you drop me a private message, I can provide both a link to the old version's installer and a purchase discount coupon, so you can choose.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.