Graph issues with the router's long SNMP interval

Started by networkwalking

Graph issues with the router's long SNMP interval   30 May 2018, 02:50

I have a ZyXEL USG20-VPN Router, and with this and other newer models the SNMP interval is forced to 5 minutes (older devices had an interval of 1000ms). I have configured NetWorx to use SNMP v2, and I have left the poll interval at 1000ms (setting the interval to 300000ms, which is 5 minutes, doesn't seem to make a difference). I am on version 6.1.1. My graph data of course only shows a bar every 5 minutes. Is there any way to configure things differently such that NetWorx could show the data more separated for the prior 5 minutes? I realize that the router will only give out data every 5 minutes, but can NetWorx somehow at least display that past 5 minutes of data in the graph as it actually occurred, instead of clumped together all in one bar (i.e, display all the individual bars for the past 5 minutes whenever it gets the data from the router)?

Thanks in advance for any help!
smile
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Graph issues with the router's long SNMP interval   30 May 2018, 09:47

First of all, this ZyXEL's limitation of 1 SNMP request in 5 minutes is, for a lack of a better word, stupid. It's like having a wristwatch that only shows the time once every 5 minutes shocked or surprised

Sure NetWorx can interpolate the data, but it is far from accurate. For example, NetWorx succeeded in obtaining the router's readings at 00:00:00 saying that 1 MB has been received. Then it obtained the readings at 00:00:05 saying that now 2 MB have been received. From this it can assume that 1 MB was transferred in 5 minutes and thus on average it was 3.4 KB per second.

To try the interpolation, go to the NetWorx's Settings - Graph - Graph Type and set it to Columns. After that, access the Hidden Settings and set Mean Samples to 300. Then it should interpolate data from the last 300 seconds as shown below. Here is a column chart for 120 Mean Samples (2 minutes).

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Graph issues with the router's long SNMP interval   30 May 2018, 11:19

I wholeheartedly agree -- it is ridiculously stupid. I loved your analogy by the way! wink I've actually emailed them to ask about this strange limitation.

But thanks much for the interpolation instructions -- that is certainly more useful than what I've had. I'm assuming this is just going to affect the display of data, and not changing anything regarding totaling data for quotas, etc. correct?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Graph issues with the router's long SNMP interval   30 May 2018, 16:32

That's right, polling once every 5 minutes will affect the chart, but the quotas and totals should all be correct.

Re: Graph issues with the router's long SNMP interval   30 May 2018, 23:31

Great, thanks!

Re: Graph issues with the router's long SNMP interval   31 May 2018, 00:37

I decided to install a second, portable instance of NetWorx, and then swapped their db's so that the portable version continues to monitor the Router and the installed version can then monitor just this computer (and the applications on it). This gives me real-time graphing for this computer, which is helpful for when I'm trying to troubleshoot any network stuff specific to this machine, but the portable install can still track the overall network traffic via the Router (albeit with the 5 minute delay).

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.