How to change database location

Started by Claude C

Claude C

How to change database location   10 June 2018, 08:54

Hi, is it possible to change the database from "C:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\NetWorx\" to another folder?
I am using a different partition to store all my data, and I will be very happy if I can put the database (3 files) on this partition in its own folder. Sometimes I have to reload an image of my Windows partition, and I often forget to make a backup of the database.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to change database location   10 June 2018, 09:14

Yes, it's possible to change the database location. There are two ways to do so:

1. Quit running NetWorx and launch it again as administrator. Then go to the Hidden Settings and enter the new path under Database location.
  2. Alternatively, use a symbolic link to redirect the folder to another location. This method can be used for any program to redirect a folder to a different location.
    1. Quit NetWorx to close the database
    2. Move C:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\NetWorx to a desired location.
    3. Launch a command prompt as administrator and type
        mklink /D C:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\NetWorx D:\YourNewLocation\NetWorx  
    Now any I/O to C:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\NetWorx will be redirected to D:\YourNewLocation\NetWorx.
Claude C

Re: How to change database location   13 June 2018, 10:18

Many thanks to you, these settings work as expected.
Hudson-K1

Re: How to change database location   12 July 2019, 19:47

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a question regarding "Method 1" above:

By changing "Database location" in hidden options, will Networx move the database for me? Or do I have to move the database manually before launching Networx? If I have to manually relocate the database beforehand, what about the brief interval between starting Networx and setting "Database location" to point to the new location? I'm asking because I guess there might be a danger of manually relocated database being overwritten after setting "Database location".

Thanks!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to change database location   12 July 2019, 20:21

Once you change the Database location parameter in NetWorx, it will instruct you what to do next. It's quite simple:

SoftPerfect support forum
Hudson-K1

Re: How to change database location   12 July 2019, 20:58

Thanks for the instruction, seems perfect!

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.