VPN data usage statistics

Started by Rod

Rod

VPN data usage statistics   08 February 2019, 07:51

Hi there,

I've recently installed ProtonVPN and usage data recorded by NetWorx (old version 5.5.1) is now about 50% higher than before the VPN was installed. My ISP, however, is showing my usage at only around 80% of NetWorx usage compared to about 110% before the VPN.

I expected the VPN to increase my data usage by around 10%,but I don't understand what is going on. NetWorx seems to be recording data usage which my ISP is not recording.

Can anyone please explain what might be happening here?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: VPN data usage statistics   08 February 2019, 13:29

It really depends on the selected monitoring options, in particular the adapter chosen under Monitored interfaces and whether the Ignore local traffic within the LAN option is on.

If you post here a screen shot of your main settings tab, I will be able to advise further.
Rod

Re: VPN data usage statistics   08 February 2019, 22:38

Thanks Andrew.

I can confirm that the Ignore local traffic within the LAN option is selected and All Connections are being monitored. I don't know how to post an image on this forum. Perhaps, if you still need it, you could advise on that.

Cheers,
Rod
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: VPN data usage statistics   08 February 2019, 22:57

When the Ignore local traffic within the LAN option is selected and a VPN is used, there is a chance of network traffic being counted more than once. It really depends on how a particular VPN software was created and operates.

For accurate readings when VPN is used, I recommend unticking this option and instead selecting the network adapter used for Internet access in the drop-down list.
Rod

Re: VPN data usage statistics   08 February 2019, 23:32

OK. Thanks Andrew, I'll give that a try.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.