How to monitor mobile broadband usage only

Started by Nick

Nick

How to monitor mobile broadband usage only   27 March 2019, 10:01

Hi guys

I need to figure out how to monitor Mobile Broadband usage only and be able to see what websites/browsing activity is responsible for that data usage. My intention is to try and use NetWorx as a governance tool. As some of our users are really nailing the APN on their 3G cards and we are paying out of our pocket for out-of-bundle data charges.

In NetWorx, as soon as I checked "Ignore local traffic within the LAN", it changed my connection selection from mobile broadband to all connections. How do I make it only monitor the mobile broadband and also give me website visitation details?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: How to monitor mobile broadband usage only   27 March 2019, 10:11

This switching from selected connection types to all connections is due to the internal design of NetWorx: basically when the "Ignore local LAN traffic option" is ticked, NetWorx loads a special network driver that captures network activity. This happens at a higher network protocol level where the information about current connections is not available.

If you absolutely need both - to monitor web-site usage and to monitor it on the broadband connection only, the following may work:
  1. Tick the Ignore local LAN traffic option like you did before; and
  2. While connected to the mobile broadband, click the Networks button on the main settings tab. It detects all networks that you connect to and identifies them based on the MAC address of the default gateway. You may be able tell NetWorx to only record usage when connected to the mobile broadband.

Otherwise, I am afraid, there may be no solution. We are not aware of any tools that allow application/site tracking via a specific connection.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.