Solving excessive data usage on 4G wireless broadband modem

Started by Steve

Hello.
Does SoftPerfect NetWorx product work with 4G wireless broadband modems? My data use is excessive, and it may not be us or our devices. Will NetWorx help me find where my data is being consumed, or by whom, or what device?

Thanks,
Steve
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Solving excessive data usage on 4G wireless broadband modem   02 April 2019, 11:12

It really depends on the modem and what devices you have. NetWorx can only monitor traffic on the computer where it is installed. If you want to monitor traffic on multiple devices, you basically have two options:
  • Install NetWorx on every computer in your network. This can only be done if all your computers are running Windows. While NetWorx can only monitor traffic on the computer it is installed on, the instances of NetWorx can talk to each other so that each instance is synchronised and shows the actual overall usage. In this case, devices like iPads, Smart TV or mobile phones will not be metered.
  • If your router supports so-called SNMP or UPnP protocol, you can monitor all traffic via your router. This however will NOT give you a per-device usage breakdown and the monitoring computer must be continuously on to poll the router and collect usage data.

Ultimately, I am afraid there isn't an easy to way to monitor all users of a home network with a 4G modem. Some more expensive modems have this capability built-in, i.e. recording how much data each device used, but that's not really possible with a desktop app like NetWorx. That said, NetWorx comes as a free trial, so you can download, install and try it with your network and devices for 30 days free of charge or any further obligations, to see whether it does for you what you wanted.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.