BitComet traffic is not recorded when "Ignore LAN traffic" is checked

Started by Hudson-K1

Dear Networx developers,
BitComet is a bittorrent client program. Somehow its traffic cannot be recorded in Networx when "Ignore LAN traffic" is checked.

Traffic form other BT clients such as uTorrent and qBittorrent can be recorded normally. However, Networx does record a tiny amount of traffic on BitComet. For example, since July 1st:
BitComet uploaded 500MiB, Networx recorded 70MiB.
BitComet downloaded 5GiB, Networx recorded 7MiB.

When "Ignore LAN traffic" is unchecked, Networx is able to record BitComet data normally.

My theory is that Networx only recorded protocol traffic from BitComet, but not the actual payload traffic. Since I am behind a firewall, my BT client has to make a lot of outgoing connections while receiving little to none, which explains the 70MiB - 7MiB figure above.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: BitComet traffic is not recorded when "Ignore LAN traffic" is checked   11 July 2019, 15:35

Sorry this is not reproducible. See the screen shot below: it shows that the correct data usage and speed were recorded.

Please make sure you are using the latest NetWorx version and the WFP driver (not TDI).

SoftPerfect support forum
Thanks for the timely reply. I tested with different OS and arch and here is the result:
  • Windows 10 64-bit, physical machine - OK
  • Windows 7 64-bit, VMware - OK
  • Windows 7 32-bit, physical machine - Cannot record traffic
  • Windows 7 32-bit, VMware - Cannot record traffic
All VMware tests are configured to bridged networking. All Networx installations are using WFP driver.

So this might be a Windows 7 32-bit specific thing. I did not test with Windows 10 32-bit or Windows XP 32-bit.

Re: BitComet traffic is not recorded when "Ignore LAN traffic" is checked   12 July 2019, 11:46

Sorry it seems to work fine here, even on Windows 7 32-bit, as you can see below. I am not sure what could be causing the issue for you, but given the vanishingly small market share of 32-bit instances of Windows 7, we probably will not be able to justify chasing it.

Thanks for the follow-up. I rebooted the VM several times and the problem suddenly disappeared all by itself.

However, I set up some new instances of Win7 32bit VM, and the problem reappeared in all these VMs. By repeatedly rebooting them I was not able to make any of them "work". So this problem seems not reliably reproducible. I'm not even sure this is a 32bit specific problem now.

By the way, according to my test BitComet's specific feature "Long-term seed" is not the culprit. The problem will appear with LT-seeding disabled.

The only thing I did not change during tests is the router and the ISP. Everything else has been swapped and tested including completely different physical hardware platforms. Could the router cause a problem like this? I tried to test with my phone portable AP but Networx seems to experience "driver init error" when the host OS is connected to phone AP, and I don't have a second router at hand to test with. For the record, my current router is TP-LINK WDR5600.

Re: BitComet traffic is not recorded when "Ignore LAN traffic" is checked   15 July 2019, 15:31

Generally it should not matter what router is used or what you are connected to. The TDI/WFP drivers work at a higher level in the system.

Try uninstalling NetWorx and then reinstall it with the TDI driver instead. Microsoft started deprecating TDI only in Windows 8, so chances are it will work fine on Windows 7. If it still does not, I am afraid we can't help you with this specific issue given the disappearing market share of Windows 7 32-bit.
Just as a follow-up to anyone who might see this thread, I switched to the TDI implementation (at the expense of database loss), but now apart from BitComet, it seems to unable to record uTorrent traffic as well.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.