Report the router's external IP address

Started by Neil

Neil

Report the router's external IP address   22 October 2019, 13:19

Is there any way I can email a NetWorx report that shows my router's external IP address?

The IP address appears on the Netstat performance page, but there doesn't seem to be a NetWorx report that includes it, and Netstat doesn't let me email reports, as far as I can see.

Basically, I want to know if my router's external IP address changes for any reason. I do not have a fixed IP service and need to connect remotely to my network occasionally.

Thanks,
Neil
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Report the router's external IP address   22 October 2019, 13:25

Unfortunately NetWorx doesn't have a feature for e-mailing you a new external IP address whenever it changes.

A typical solution to this issue is to use a dynamic DNS server (DDNS). Basically you can register a domain name like yourname.providername.com linked to your external IP address. Then, whenever your IP address changes, your router sends the update to the DDNS provider and the domain name starts to resolve to the new address. This way you don't need to memorise your IP address, only the domain name. In rare cases where your router doesn't support this feature, you can run a client application on your PC.

This How to easily access your home network from anywhere with DDNS article provides more details on setting up DDNS.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.